If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60/7 backfiring after warm up... help!

BMW37

Re: R60/7 backfiring after warm up... help!

Post by BMW37 »

Thanks Kurt. I will review this possible horn connection. I already saw this in the schematic. I will print the schematic provided and check. The coil (green) wire is certainly connected and was not missing just the mystery green wire not connected. There is an inline fuse but why would BMW protect the horn circuit, strange. :o :cry:

Gbarbe1

Post by Gbarbe1 »

Sorry if I am quite late but I discovered this group only today. I'd like to share my experience: after replacing the original points the engine was backfiring over 2000 RPM, and the reason was that the new points had the small metal plate that connects the cable to the spring of the points that was too close to the centrifugal advance, so that over 2500 RPM there was a spark between the plate and the centrifugal advance. I solved bending it closer to the points.

5Forever

Post by 5Forever »

My R75/5 started backfiring when warm. Especially if I let it sit 20 min after a long ride. When I would leave the bar, I mean library, it would cut out and backfire.
I figured heat sinking into something was the enemy since it ran fine before it sat. No extra heat, no problem. I thought condenser and coils but the condenser had less than 30k miles and I didn't figure the coils would be getting all that hot where they are and I'm talking Rocky Mtn riding, not Sahara. Then I thought of those little timing advance springs which are under cover in a very warm area. With 75K on the motor I figured I'd replace them anyway. Problem solved. Cheap and easy.