If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Tips for setting rt80 on center stand

knapmich

Tips for setting rt80 on center stand

Post by knapmich »

I have a full dress 84 RT80 which I have trouble placing on the center stand

On my concrete garage floor it slides placing on and have trouble getting of the center stand

I'm over 6 feet tall I place my left foot in the center stand tang {while off the bike}

Then I pull back on the frame grab handle and some times I can do It, other times no!

Any constructed tips would be appreciated! Thanks
knapmich

schrader7032

I assume you have the stock

Post by schrader7032 »

I assume you have the stock stand installed. You mention the center stand tang...if we're talking the same thing, you should not be using that...it will break off and ruin your day. The official tang is only used to lower the stand from it's stowed position. Once down, you need to step on the larger foot of the center stand. See this picture...should be clear what I'm talking about.

http://www.markboyd.info/beemer/center_stand_tang.html

This video is for the /2 but the concept is the same. The /2 has nice frames to grab on to. For your R80RT, you need to grab on to the handle that is on the left side of the seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_62u6zeCQs

For getting off the center stand, there's some rocking going on. Rock the bike from where it normally sits, weight on the rear wheel. Rock it forward on the stand and keep pushing on the handle bars. Be ready to grab some front brake once it drops off the stand.

As some background info, the '81-82 bikes had a poorly designed center stand...the pivot points were too far below the bike. An upgrade kit was available and the design was fixed for the '83-84 bikes.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

knapmich

thank you

Post by knapmich »

Great information! you taught me something!
knapmich

jim in the north

Tips for placing rt80 on center stand

Post by jim in the north »

I was also having trouble getting my 1983 R100RT on the center stand. It seemed to getting harder and harder. The rear shocks were original and pretty much clapped out. I replaced them and couldn't believe the difference it made in getting my bike on the center stand. It is so easy now. I guess the bike was just sitting down too low on the old shocks.