If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

rim to hub offset question

wolds

rim to hub offset question

Post by wolds »

Can anyone explain the result of not having the correct rim to (drum hub offset) on a /6? I have been riding my R60/6 for 8 years now after completing a frame up restoration. I've logged 6K miles on the bike without any issues. I stumbled on Snowbum's rim offset guide yesterday and realized that when I laced up the rims with new Buchanan spokes I was not aware that there was a small offset. So now I'm concerned. Any thoughts on the subject?
2007 BMW R1200RT
1979 Yamaha XS650 "cafe"
1976 BMW R90S
1976 BMW R60/6

schrader7032

Didn't Snowbum offer some

Post by schrader7032 »

Didn't Snowbum offer some thoughts? Off the top of my head, it would affect the alignment of the tires front-to-rear and might affect how much braking drum surface was in contact for the rear brake. Plus, the wheel splines would not make full contact.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

wolds

reply to schrader 703

Post by wolds »

Didn't Snowbum offer some thoughts? Off the top of my head, it would affect the alignment of the tires front-to-rear and might affect how much braking drum surface was in contact for the rear brake. Plus, the wheel splines would not make full contact.

thanks for getting back to me. I haven't reached out to Snowbum yet, didn't think it was an option. I could see where there might be an alignment issue but like I said I've been riding the bike for 8 years and have not noticed any unusual handling characteristics or tire wear. Not sure how rim offset would prevent the hub from positioning itself fully on the drive splines or front brake assembly. If it did I would think you would have difficulty with final assembly.
2007 BMW R1200RT
1979 Yamaha XS650 "cafe"
1976 BMW R90S
1976 BMW R60/6

Randolph

Rim offset

Post by Randolph »

The rim offset only affects the side-to-side position of the wheel in the swing-arm. Just make sure there's sufficient clearance of the tire to each side of the swing-arm.
-Randy