If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

I am ReBeemed

Steevo

I am ReBeemed

Post by Steevo »

After several years with no two-wheelers, I just brought home a 1984 R80RT yesterday.

This is my third BMW motorcycle, having previously owned and ridden an R80GS and a R1100RT.

This R80RT is the first airhead I have owned or seen that has the odd "EGR" system with tubes from the exhaust ports to the airbox, and I am looking for guidance on eliminating that contraption. I can easily take it all off, remove the fittings from the heads, weld up the holes and re-install them, but is there a "right" way to go about the "EGR Deletion" on these bikes?

I assume there might be some carb modifications needed, and airbox fixes to block the extra holes, but seek feedback from those who have been through this before.

P.S., I searched on "EGR" here before posting this question, but results were nil.

Thanks,

Steevo

schrader7032

Steevo - Nice! AOPA and MOA

Post by schrader7032 »

Steevo -

Nice! AOPA and MOA stickers, too...should be well cared for. How many miles? Note that the '81-84 model years may exhibit issues with the valves because BMW used a valve seat material that didn't conduct heat very well which pushed the heat back into the valve itself. The valve edges would "tulip" resulting in changes in valve clearance. The problems were fixed in 1985. The 800cc models probably didn't exhibit the issue as much because they didn't produce as much heat as the 1000cc bikes. Just keep an eye on the valve clearances...if they begin to close up rapidly, then it time to consider a top end job.

The "EGR" system you refer to as the pulse air injection system...if you searched for that, you would find a few posts. But Snowbum has the whole issue covered in great deal...maybe too much!! Anyway, study this article and that will give you the steps to remove the system.

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/pulseair.htm
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Steevo

Thank you Kurt. Bike has

Post by Steevo »

Thank you Kurt.

Bike has about 50k on it, but regular maint by an older gentleman who was the original owner.

He just never washed/detailed it that I could tell.

I'll go read about the pulse air injection system now!

Steevo

Follow-up: I removed all

Post by Steevo »

Follow-up:

I removed all tubes and fittings today, found 16mmx1.5 drain plugs at O'Reilley Auto parts, and turned them shorter on the lathe.
Installed the drain plugs in place of the fittings in the heads, re-using the old crush washers from pulse-air fittings.
I removed all of the airbox components of the pulse-air system, and plugged the holes in airbox with rubber plugs I had in stock (looks factory), and capped off vacuum tubes at carbs and inside airbox.

No more pulse-air system on this R-80.

Thanks again for the link to the great article on this topic.

schrader7032

Keep us informed as to how

Post by schrader7032 »

Keep us informed as to how the bike runs and does it help with the mileage. This should be better for the valves...all that hot air won't be washing over the valves anymore.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.