If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Conti Classic Attack tires

R.D.Green

Conti Classic Attack tires

Post by R.D.Green »

Has anyone mounted a 120 width Conti Classic Attack tire on an '81-'84 twin shock bike with 2.50/18 rear wheel? If so, was there sufficient swingarm clearance? Thanks...

schrader7032

I've only mounted a 120

Post by schrader7032 »

I've only mounted a 120 metric tire once on my /7...did not like it one bit. As I recall, it barely rubbed on the right side...I took a file to the mold line and scrubbed it down some...not sure if it expanded under speed and rubbed still. Getting it off was a mother...

The width dimension is not the same across the industry if someone says the tire is 120, 110, or even 4.0. You take what you get.

Personally I would not mount a 120 or, for that matter, a metric tire. The profile isn't right...it dropped the bike lower to the ground by about 0.5" and made my sidestand almost unusable. Not again will I do that.

YMMV!!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

R.D.Green

Yes, the actual width of the

Post by R.D.Green »

Yes, the actual width of the "same" size tire varies between manufacturers and can even vary pretty significantly. That's why I asked particularly about fitting a 120 Conti Classic Attack. Even though the stock tire sizes on my '82 R100 are 3.25 and 4.00, I've been using 100 and 120 mm Metzeler and Michelin tires ever since I got the bike in 1993 and have never had a fitment problem, a sidestand problem, or any problem for that matter. These particular Contis only come in metric sizes. They're radials designed for classic bikes and can be run with tubes. Based on their reviews from airhead owners, I want to give them a try. If I can determine that the 120s would be a problem, I can always fall back to the 110 which is closer to the stock width anyway.

marty m

Clasic Contacts

Post by marty m »

I just bought a 84 R 100RS with these tires on it. My test ride I did not take the bike over 60 mph. Once home I did some more serious riding. Above 75 mph extreme "wobble" Not happy with the ride I came home and once again checked tire pressures and swing arm and steering play. All was good. I noticed a slight degree of cupping on the rear tire from tread to tread pattern.
I also didn't like how close the side wall was to the swing arm. This is not the correct size tire for this bike. I got 2 new BT 45s the oem size and replaced them . Wobble gone and much better handling. I have 2 other airheads and now this one handles as well as the others. And I had to deflate the rear tire just to get it to clear the swing arm. The other was the Continental radial was much heavier compare to the bias ply Bridgestone.

Just my opinion,
Marty

Randolph

10.7mm top hat spacer

Post by Randolph »

There is a wider top hat spacer for the right side of the wheel that will space the tire away from the swing arm an extra 1.5mm. P/N 36 31 2 301 737.

-Randy

R.D.Green

Classic Attacks

Post by R.D.Green »

Marty - - Good info. Thanks. I'm not totally decided on the Contis yet. Was the rear tire on your '84 when you got it a 110 or a 120? I did talk to the Conti Tech Line and got the dimensions of the 120 Classic Attack and it looks like the 120 would be too wide for my '82.

Richard

marty m

Conti Clasics

Post by marty m »

It was a 120. Sadly after an extreme effort and a bead breaker I had to cut the tire off the rim. It had less than 500 mile on it. I was able to get the front tire off. only with a lot of effort. If you decide to go this route the front is fine. You can have it for the cost of shipping.
Marty

R.D.Green

Conti Classic Attacks

Post by R.D.Green »

It was a 120. Sadly after an extreme effort and a bead breaker I had to cut the tire off the rim. It had less than 500 mile on it. I was able to get the front tire off. only with a lot of effort. If you decide to go this route the front is fine. You can have it for the cost of shipping.
Marty

These tires are, reportedly, very stiff in the sidewalls thus probably adding to your difficulty in dis-mounting the front. I was finally able to get the width of a 120 (mounted on a 2.75 wheel) from Conti - - works out to 4.92 inches - - way too wide. I'm surprised it fit on your bike at all. In any case, I've decided not to go with them. I'll be mounting a set of Michelin Pilot Activs in 3.25 and 4.00 widths.

marty m

A good choice.

Post by marty m »

A good choice.

kbeshlian

/2

Post by kbeshlian »

Has anyone mounted the Conti Classic Attack radials on a /2, and if so what size(s) and how do they perform?