If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

S fairing installation

delorean

Stretching the fairing/ gauge pods

Post by delorean »

The official pdf installation guide does make mention of stretching the fairing over the stalk once the left side is positioned. Stretching the fairing is a nerve-wrecking experience and I have yet to do it now that my wiring harness is built close to spec and connected. Let the fairing bake in the sun for a while and the fairing will become more flexible, my mechanic told me. Good advise! Lets hope tomorrow is a hot day!
Update on gauges: The VDO gauges (4) I ordered from India are indeed a nice product!! I purchased 4 gauges, DOES NOT include clock, all for about $40 US. The fuel/oil-pressure/oil temp are currently of no use to me as per spec, it's only Volt and Clock which are installed in it. I have a pair of pods which I thought would mount on the brackets but with the fairing there is no room for extras. Those pods were available for some models but will mount on anything IF you have brackets. Will probably sell those. Pic attached. Items I have are: 3,4,8,9,10,13,15,16.
Attachments
extragauges.png
extragauges.png (40.19 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
John Elgersma
1975 BMW R60/6 Blue

delorean

CORRECT INSTALLATION

Post by delorean »

To avoid cracking the fairing when stretching it over the second turn-signal stalk, please follow the instructions below:
- Place the black rubber washer on the stalks and bring it onto the thicker portion of stalk.
- Install fairing on one of the stalks ( the hole of the fairing will reach past the skinny part of the stalk) This is required to allow the fairing to stretch over the other stalk. The fairing will only stretch by very little before it cracks, believe me, mine caused a small crack because I thought the U-shape washer belongs on the outside, NOT SO!
-Next, place eccentric washer over stalks into fairing on both sides.
- Make adjustments to the eccentric washer and secure the top brackets
- Move the black rubber washer (on the inside of the fairing) and slip it over the eccentric washer on both sides. There is only 4mm of the eccentric washer poking out so just wiggle it in place.
- Install the U-shaped washer, from the top, over the black rubber washer on the inside. This secures the U-shape washer to ride up against the wider part/edge of the stalk.
- Place thick metal washer on the outside up against the eccentric washer.
- Install turn signals ( PLEASE note that the turn signals have different depths so make sure you install the correct signal casings to make sure the clamp will secure properly.
- Voila, job done! =D>
- The U-shape washer is designed for a specific reason to be installed after the fairing is in place. This washer can not be installed first as it creates to much washer thickness so stretching the fairing is impossible. The fairing needs to filt over the thicker portion of the stalk initially.
See final pictures of inside picture and an inside picture taken from underneath showing the U-shaped washer. The outside pic shows the thick 3mm washer between eccentric washer.fairing and turn-signal.
If the 3mm washer is on the inside, the fairing would not have been able to stretch over the stalk. If you did however, I am surprised your fairing has not cracked below the hole as you pull on it. The fairing can not be stretched 2" !!!! It will crack!!!

Attachments
outside.jpg
outside.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 2957 times
inside2.jpg
inside2.jpg (871.49 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
inside1.jpg
inside1.jpg (967.59 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
fairinginstall.pdf
(419.45 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
John Elgersma
1975 BMW R60/6 Blue

skychs

fairing

Post by skychs »

Those directions were right on. Worked like a charm. Im very happy I didn't break my new painted fairing.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
Attachments
img_9037.jpg
img_9037.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 2957 times
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA

jzucchetto

Re: S fairing installation

Post by jzucchetto »

All I am trying to find "74-85 R100CS/7T/60/75/90S BLACK TURN INDICATOR BRACKET 31421233943" but am only finding chrome or a complete kit from Bob's BMW at at $300.00.

S FAIRING INSTALLATION KIT
https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/product/s ... lation-kit

I only need the brackets, any thoughts?

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

Glad I found this thread, as I see that my R100 is missing the outer, thick metal washer.

Anyone know of a source, for just the metal outer washer?

Thanks in advance.
John
Attachments
115F3B62-8132-4C13-A168-7363A2B667DE.jpeg
1983 R100
2000 R1100

jimcarrr100rs

Post by jimcarrr100rs »

Looks like the parts are available individually from MAX.
77 & 83 R100RS, 56 R69, 74 R90/6

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

Jim,

Thanks. I actually found them at my local dealer, Montgomeryville Cycle Center in Hatfield Pa.

Installed the S fairing correctly, and it went on fine.

John
1983 R100
2000 R1100

malmac

Post by malmac »

I am also fitting an S style fairing to my R75/6.

The question I have is that while the fairing has offset rubber grommets, they are not in two parts like shown on Ulis website. Are they meant to be in two parts or was that a later modification?

Cheers

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

SDCR

Post by SDCR »

malmac wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:44 pm

The question I have is that while the fairing has offset rubber grommets, they are not in two parts like shown on Ulis website. Are they meant to be in two parts or was that a later modification?

Cheers

Mal
Mal,

Wish I knew the answer. Hopefully, someone more familiar with this will chime in.

John
1983 R100
2000 R1100

malmac

Post by malmac »

SDCR wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:17 pm
malmac wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:44 pm

Cheers

Mal
Mal,

Wish I knew the answer. Hopefully, someone more familiar with this will chime in.

John
On Ulis the grommets are shown as such.
UlisMotorradladen_1234406 (1).jpg
Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia