If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Luftmeister/head light fuse holder

tyco1010

Luftmeister/head light fuse holder

Post by tyco1010 »

Guys,

I just took off the Luftmeister fairing and noticed they installed remote external fuse holders on the top of the headlight bucket. I'm certain this is so if you blew a fuse you didn't have to remove the fairing to change a fuse. It is a nice feature but they look like Bakelite and one is cracked. I searched the net and found the type I'll try to upload a photo but it seems to be a BELLING LEE FUSE HOLDER.

My question is should I but a new holder or remove the wires and the ceramic fuses? (If I don't use the external holders I'll have to deal with the holes in the bucket with some type of grommet).

Do you know if these holders are weather proof? (When the fairing was on they were protected well). (I'm not certain if there will be clearance for the headlight and the external fuse holders).

Any suggestions would be very welcome

Thank you,

Joe
Attachments
nos-fender-era-blackface-fuse-holder-4211100.jpg
nos-fender-era-blackface-fuse-holder-4211100.jpg (42.06 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

schrader7032

Joe - I'm not familiar with

Post by schrader7032 »

Joe -

I'm not familiar with this type of external fuse...I've heard of "move-a-fuse" or something like that. As for the holes in the bucket, the big box hardware stores has a series of drawers in the hardware aisle where you can find all manner of plugs, screws etc. I'm sure there is a black plastic snap in button you could find. I suppose you could even find a reasonable short grip length screw and put a gasket under the head and secure a lock nut on the inside...secure and waterproof.

To be honest, I've never had to worry about the fuse location on my bike with the Luftmeister. I understand what I have to do to access it but it's far down my list of concerns.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

tyco1010

Kurt, Thank you for the

Post by tyco1010 »

Kurt,

Thank you for the ideas. I think I'm going to take the soldered wires off the fuse box and reinstall the ceramic fuses. I can keep the external fixtures until I find a grommet to fit. I didn't think of looking in the bins at the hardware stores.

Thank you,

Joe

tyco1010

Thank you

Post by tyco1010 »

Guys,

I found the exact fuse holders at my first stop. Can't believe it, a great old school NAPA store.

Joe

rapide

relocated my H/L ceramic fuses 70's - R series

Post by rapide »

I relocated my H/L ceramic fuses back in 1980. I used the same color as a 4 pole/ post waterproof trailer connector. 2 Soldered to the top H/L fuse tabs
& 2 Soldered to the bottom fuse tabs. the connector is located outside the H/L shell on my 1974 R90SRS.

Back in 1980 when I purchased my NTM ~ BMW bike as a wreck. fork/ steering next issue. I had the frame straightened and install a new fork/ brake set up.

I also installed an RS Fairing. So being an electrician of sorts it was a NO Brainer to get the fuses where I could access them outside the H/L bucket. WHAT A DUMB place to put these. then again if Alls well you don't need to access them. except to periodically rotate the fuses for a clean, reliable, secure and complete contact . . . . . yearly.

Back then, about the only / best means was to have 2 panel mounted glass AGC fuse holders. Find & drill 2 holes and finish the trailer plug wiring to the 2 new fuse holders. So now when the fairing comes off it's a simply UN~plug the connector and you're done.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... EiwAl5WC2-

wIIhDWKzACiz3Nb50rkwOBJjz9Yjk0eL59SdGl5Tx2lVH1DtON0xoCu_QQAvD_BwE

there are other remote fuse holders today that use the blade type fuses. Stock BMW was 8amp. the new replacement is 10amp.
https://www.zoro.com/grote-fuse-holder- ... 5UQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Lumision-Fuses-A ... B0792Q8KH3

NEVER had a problem since. . . . . ever ! ! !
Attachments
thumb_img_2333.jpg_1024.jpg
thumb_img_2333.jpg_1024.jpg (177.13 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
_thumb_img_6670_1024.jpg
_thumb_img_6670_1024.jpg (315.38 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

gooday jim

abc#1559 R90SRS moa#70816, HRD~VOC, AMCA, AIMOC, STOC, BMWRA, IBA, MERA, 356, LOA,