If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

73 R75/5 : Stripped bolt..Nut Splitter?

pat73750

73 R75/5 : Stripped bolt..Nut Splitter?

Post by pat73750 »

Hello!

Brand new member but not brand new to BMW. I've had a R100GS for the last 23 years that's been nothing but great.

I recently bought a pretty good 73 R75/5, and started down the path of restoration. Everything was going fine, and this site has been a great source for information, and inspiration.

I have run into, unfortunately, a few stripped nuts. Seems to be the problem on both rear engine mounting bolts. After adding some oil, etc., they seemed to ease up pretty easily, compared to some other bolts on the bike. Well, after a few turns I noticed they weren't going anywhere so I stopped.

(See attached photo)

So, I know options could be heat and or trying to grind them off, but as you know it's a tight spot. Also, not something I'm to familiar with nor do I have the tools.

The question...I was thinking about using a "Nut Splitter". Had some luck with those on cars before, no additional damage to the bolt. Any thoughts on this? If I can get mine to fit in the area?

Any other thoughts, questions, or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks very much

Pat
Attachments
nut_2.jpg
nut_2.jpg (648.74 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
73' R75/5, 91' R100 GS

schrader7032

Pat - Welcome! Ooof...to

Post by schrader7032 »

Pat -

Welcome! Ooof...to have troubles right off the bat. Doesn't this bolt go all the way through to the opposite side with a similar nut? Are you saying that both ends of this engine mount bolt have stripped or seized nuts on the ends? I'm thinking that if they are that seized, you're going to need a new mount bolt. Can you use a wrench on one side holding the bolt and then with a massively strong friend, put a socket on the other end and turn the nut off? If you get one end off without too much damage, you should be able to slide the bolt through (hold the engine from falling), pitch the nuts/bolt, and get new ones.

If the nuts simply rotate without coming off, then I'd be inclined to use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel and cut through the exposed part of the nut...be careful not to damage the footpeg arm. If you can get a good groove cut and even down to the bolt threads, then you could use a cold chisel and a hammer to break open the cut nut and/or twist it to a point where it opens up and you can get it off.

You know, working on this bikes is just another excuse to buy tools!!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

pat73750

Hey Kurt Thanks for the

Post by pat73750 »

Hey Kurt

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, it was going well, and I know these things happen along the way. Part of the "It's more about the journey they getting there" .
Enough of the Zen

The mounting bolt does go all the way through, right? At least I assumed it did?

That's a good idea, and I did, try holding one and turning the other, but no real luck. Love the Dremel idea. Actually just had to cut through one of the seized exhaust nuts. Didn't want to damage the threads on the head. Easier, because it's aluminum, of course.

Thanks again for the quick response!!

Pat
73' R75/5, 91' R100 GS