If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Getting an r60/6 running after sitting for over 20 years

vfiori

Re: Getting an r60/6 running after sitting for over 20 years

Post by vfiori »

This is actually the second rebuild I did on them. First time they soaked in a carb cleaning bath. Second time they were ultrasonically cleaned. I’ll probably clean the idle jet on the other one and see if that helps. But I’ll check the float adjustment first.

srankin

Post by srankin »

Sorry, I didn't realize you had done the cleaning as you did. At this point I suggest check your work.

LoL, I rebuilt carbs on my bike and unbeknownst to me a small part dropped out and went on the floor. I didn't realize it until I started the bike and it didn't run right. Nobody is perfect. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

vfiori

Post by vfiori »

Here's a little update on the status and a discovery of a strange issue. I got fed up trying to tune the carbs since it would start, run great, and then run like crap. I caved, stuck it on a trailer, and drove an hour and a half to a reputable BMW dealer for service. (It needed new tires anyway.) I got a call today that it's ready. I was told the floats were slightly out of adjustment (figured). But the real issue was the spark plug caps arcing. It makes a lot of sense since it would warm up and then run like crap. Not cheap for all this. $1k. Anything else goes, I'm doing it myself. I can at least have a baseline on it running properly now.

malmac

Post by malmac »

My old boss used to say, "when you think it's fuel, it will be ignition and when you think it's ignition, it will be fuel."

For what it's worth, I always remember that advice.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

vfiori

Post by vfiori »

I heard something similar before. A lot of carb problems are ignition problems in disguise. I was starting to wonder of that was the case before I dropped it off. But it had spark and those caps were not something I even thought of it. I did wonder if it was the plug cables.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I have heard the same thing but with valves added to the mix. For example, my bikes will start to idle poorly just about the time I am to do a valve adjustment. Once the valves are adjusted, thy run fine again.

At least you found a shop to work on it for you. I admit, I sometimes get baffled or way over my head with things and it sure is nice to have my friend's shop close by.

Now you can enjoy riding, that beats wrenching. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

vfiori

Post by vfiori »

I actually used to have a friend who worked on these and many other motorcycles. He lived right down the street from me. He did antique car upholstery for a living but loved motorcycles. He was giving me advice when I first got it out of the garage in 2020. Unfortunately, he passed away almost a year ago.

vfiori

Post by vfiori »

Just got back from picking it up. Runs great. The transmission was giving me trouble getting it into first and then into second but probably because it was cold. Found out that the tech that worked on the bike is the son of the guy who used to own the shop my grandfather took it to.