If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Tubeless tires?

OldCrow

Tubeless tires?

Post by OldCrow »

Hello,
I'm a new member of VBMO. But I began my love affair with the marquee about 25 years ago when I bought my 1983 R100RT. Since then I've owned a 1966 R69S, 2000 R1150GS and now a 1981 R100RT. I do love this vintage RT. Even at 40years and 43k I'm riding it Sunday on an IronButt SS1000 https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/ssseries/index.html. This will be the 7th IBA ride on this bike since 2017. Many upgrades, lot's of LEDs, unleaded fuel heads, rebuilt carbs, resealed Final drive, brakes, cables etc, etc.
I really love the bike but for one thing, tube tires! I know some folks go tubeless on the snow flakes but I'm not one. And removing and changing a tube is a PITA, especially the rear and especially during an IBA ride. Just curious are there any wheels that will fit the R100RT but are tubeless rated? I know the reintroduced Airheads in 1987 with tubeless, but that mono rear end is a problem :D
Thanks for any insights, if your in Maine on Sunday and see a Smoke Green RT give a wave or join me!

srankin

Re: Tubeless tires?

Post by srankin »

Sorry to say I know of no aftermarket wheels ever made for the pre 85 bikes to replace the snow flake wheels.

There was a company called Lester which made as far as I know, replacement wheels on the early /6 and /7 bikes to replace spoked wheels. I don't know when they went out of business but they were not designed for tubeless use at all.

The Wheels for the mono shock bikes will not fit at all on the twin shock bikes due to different final drive system mounting, as well as the front mounting. I can't say for sure but I believe the 85 and newer bikes use a slightly larger diameter spindle.

I am not sure of the rear tire diameter and profile size for the 85 and newer bikes but I think it is a different diameter or size tire then the Pre 85 bikes. The front tire on the 85 and newer bikes is smaller diameter

LOL, with a ton of money, a custom bike builder could perhaps build or fabricate a couple of tubeless rims to fit. I feel the same way about changing tubes on the side of the road. Lucky for me it has only happened three times in 40 years of riding. I better knock on wood not to jinx myself. St.
Owner of a 84, R80RT and 78, R100RS

OldCrow

Post by OldCrow »

That's pretty much what I expected. I've even pondered the idea of getting a ratty post 87 and do a melding of that and my 81. :D
I've had pretty good luck on tires. They have gotten exponentially better. But just being prepared to change a tube road side, between tools, tire spoons, tubes, pieces of wood to raise the wheels enough due to Reynolds ride off center stand adds so many pounds :shock: Plus I a carry a 4gal fuel cell back there.
Thanks

srankin

Post by srankin »

LOL, I tip my bike over onto its side using my jacket to protect the fairing and cylinder head. Ride off stand is great for ride off, not so much for tire off. Come to think of it taking the rear tire off even with the regular stand is a pain. St.

OldCrow

Post by OldCrow »

I've been fortunate not to have to resort to tipping any of my bikes on purpose. Although a woman backed her car into my R1150GS and it sat perfectly happy for a few hours on the Jessy Bag and crash bars perfectly parallel to the parking area. The only damage were some scratches where the dingbat tried to right the bike. Ran fine afterwards. I suppose you tip it on the right side? Any fuel leakage from the carbs or main tank? Can't think where but any oil leaking? I suppose the Final Drive vent is too high above the normal level of the gear oil for any problems. And a tiny amount of gear oil from the transmission vent?

I may just have to try this crazy idea :D
OC
PS, the Summer Solstice run went fine. 1023.3 miles in just shy of 17hrs. Bike ran flawlessly in some pretty warm afternoon weather(for Maine).

srankin

Post by srankin »

So far, when I tip the bike on its side, I have not had any leaks or spills. I have only had to do it one time. It is not a regular way for me to remove the rear wheel. I have a lift and a hoist to get the bike in the air when is is time to do normal tire changes.

The fellow I bought my R100RS from had angered his girlfriend and she in turn drove into the side of the bike while it was on the center stand. The bike went over and fell on the left side breaking the fairing. He then got drunk later and knocked the bike over onto the right side. It was a shame because the bike was in very good shape other than the damaged fairing when I bought it from him. Luckily the gas tank was not damaged in either tip. St.

OldCrow

Post by OldCrow »

Booze and anger, a bad combination for classic machine :( I suppose he was fortunate to have not jumped on the bike and drove it off the road. That's how I got hold of a sweet Honda Night Hawk with just a couple bent fork tubes. But my buddy wasn't so lucky, in the hospital for several weeks with his jaw wired shut :o

MikeL46

Post by MikeL46 »

You can change the rear without laying the bike on its side:

- Tie the center stand to the exhaust crossover
- Remove the front wheel
- Tilt the bike forward onto the front forks
- Remove the rear wheel
- Reverse the process to install

I've done this on the side of the road to repair a flat. Not much fun, but doable.

Mike
67 R50/2 w/R100 engine/trans and Ural Sidecar
69 R60/2 76 R90S 78 R100RS
70 Triumph w/Spirit Eagle Sidecar

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

On the twin shock bikes, good luck squeezing the tire past the left side swingarm and the final drive/brakes. In all my years with my /7, even with the proper 4.00x18 tire on the rear, it takes quite a bit of tugging to work the tire free...even after letting most of the air out. In that situation, I could see this being precarious if you have the bike tipped forward. YMMV.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

srankin

Post by srankin »

I have been very lucky to only have four flat tires in the 40 plus years I have been riding. Also, I have been lucky they occurred in fairly decent places and weather.

The worst tire repair I did was when I stopped and helped a fellow and his wife on the side of a interstate. Lucky for us not a insanely busy interstate. I stopped at 6 PM, we got the bike back together at 2AM. Mind you, most of the time involved was his riding into a nearby dealer to purchase a new rear tire on his wife's bike while I sat by the roadside. However, the Gold wing rear tire took just about an hour to get off the back of the bike and an hour to put back on.

I have in the past said bad words in regard to BMW engineering and design but I have seen and worked with far worse and am in the whole tankful for BMW's designs, nobody is perfect. St.