If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Hello from Perth, Western Australia

John_T55

Hello from Perth, Western Australia

Post by John_T55 »

Greetings, I have just rejoined this club, last time was about 1981?? I think. I've been lurking on and off for a while, just had a rush of blood to the head and purchased a Krauser MKM 1000 - 16000km, complete and mostly original, matching numbers and it's a factory built 2V. Which it's currently in dock having a few issues fixed.
I did ride it 300km home, quite an experience getting back on a 40yo airhead BMW after a Triumph Thruxton - now sold. I have not bought 4V heads - yet.
Attachments
Krauser.jpg
Krauser.jpg (585.8 KiB) Viewed 1390 times

schrader7032

Re: Hello from Perth, Western Australia

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome, John! Quite the rare bird...these don't show up that often! What year is the bike? I'm not certain if the front wheels are 19-inch which if they are, and from what appears in the picture, they below to the group of recalled front wheels. It's a long standing recall, although it's getting harder and harder to find a BMW shop that a) will do the recall swap and b) find any replacement rims. As I understand it, the original silver rims are no longer available, but a goldish colored one might still be around.

You might be interested to read what Snowbum has put up about Krauser heads:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/Krauser-Heads.htm
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

John_T55

Re: Hello from Perth, Western Australia

Post by John_T55 »

It's a 1981 factory built 2V, #037 and delivered to BMW Australia in August that year. I did not know about the wheel recall, front is a 19" so I will investigate with my local dealer. (Wish me luck)
As for 4V heads, I am aware of the problems with them let alone the prices these days - I have already been offered a set from the US of A.
Snowbum is a brilliant resource, I have been devouring the content of his site. Very appreciative that he takes the time and effort to post all that.
My last BMW's were a 1976 R100RS spoked wheel, and a 1960? R50S along with an 8 gallon Hoske tank! I sold both in 1988 or thereabouts....memory is hazy from around that time.