If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Center stand

oldchrome.atl

Center stand

Post by oldchrome.atl »

Are there two ( or more?) center stands for /2's.
I have one that I got with the pile of parts when I purchased my 1955 R69 project. It was missing the foot kick tab. I was able to purchase another center stand on ebay that had the tab that I want to use as a donor (the feet were bent and worn through). When I measured them for placement, I found that they are 1/2" different in length. I know that others sell reproductions but mine has side braces that run further down the legs. I think they are older, original (?) and longer.
Any thoughts?

schrader7032

Don't know if it means

Post by schrader7032 »

Don't know if it means anything but there's only one part number for the center stand for an R69, R69S (US model) or R69S (European model). I can't imagine why there would be different OEM center stands. Vech lists this:

46 52 4 028 047--centerstand R50-R69S

There are different side stands I believe...forget why that is.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

ferrarirobinson

I faintly recall that with

Post by ferrarirobinson »

I faintly recall that with the 3.37 Rear Drive ratio and the addition of a 4.00 size tire, the center stands were made a little longer due to the situation where both tires were touching the ground and that made the bike a little precarious anywhere except ideal situations.

Charlie
Charlie

butch housman

The US model with the 4.00

Post by butch housman »

The US model with the 4.00 rear NEEDS a taller center stand but mine does not have one...alas

Slash2

Clearance

Post by Slash2 »

The US model with the 4.00 rear NEEDS a taller center stand but mine does not have one...alas

I can't verify this statement unanimously but this has been my experience with my personal R69US motorcycle while fitted with a 4.00 rear tire. I am fairly certain my center stand is OEM. With a 4.00 rear tire there is simply insufficient clearance while up on the stand. That said, after 5k miles with this tire I replaced it with a 3.50 Heidenau and have been very pleased with the performance.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

schrader7032

Certainly a 4.00 tire is

Post by schrader7032 »

Certainly a 4.00 tire is going to have a bigger diameter than a 3.50 tire...I'd bet around 0.5 inches or so. But seems strange that BMW only has one part number for the center stand if they intended to put different ones on depending on the rear tire. My guess is that with the 3.50 tire there was more than enough clearance that a 4.00 should fit, albeit with less clearance to the ground. If a 4.00 doesn't fit, I'm wondering if the stand is sacked or has bent the stops a bit after all the years of up/down when engaging the center stand.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.