If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R27 pricing

Vigilance

R27 pricing

Post by Vigilance »

I am considering selling my R27. It has been in storage for about 30 years/ I am not a motorcycle person ... but have enjoyed looking at it on my barn.
My parents courted on it back in the day!
(my profile pic)

It has 17,626 miles on it. Everything is original. It still turns over just fine and has little wear to it. It still has the little roll out tool kit, hand air pump and the BMW hex key.

I see prices all over the place and very few cycles like it, especially in the very original condition. I will be checking fluids, replacing the battery and seeing if it will start on the stand.

Question: Where in the world do I find a reasonable value to it?

Thanks!
Attachments
vintage_r27_web.jpg
vintage_r27_web.jpg (315.2 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Vigilance my friends!
1966 R27 ... old school

schrader7032

You might consider trolling

Post by schrader7032 »

You might consider trolling German ebay to get a sense of what they might sell...German probably has the higher concentration of single cylinder bikes. You could also check out the marketplace at the IBMWR website:

http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/ads/rvbs

One R27 for sale right now.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

c.d.iesel

R27 market

Post by c.d.iesel »

$6,000 as your base - even though it's need of a through restoservice
which will cost many 100$'s

VBMWMO#5514- '64 R27 15K #383851 - '86 R65 22K #6128390 - Retired m/c road racer (1971-2000) - Former M-Benz Star Tech 19 years, BMW auto master tech, BMW bike cert tech 27 years. Now retired to Hillsboro, NH.

Vigilance

If it runs when I make the

Post by Vigilance »

If it runs when I make the small repairs, will that change the base price?
Vigilance my friends!
1966 R27 ... old school

anderson7585

It will still need to be

Post by anderson7585 »

It will still need to be gone-through after sitting for all this time, you make actually reduce the value IF something catastrophic happens on start-up.
I would sell it "as is, where is", I would not even wash the "Patina" off of it.

Vince
1973 BMW R75/5 (LWB) "Griselda" (stock looking but with logical/practical improvements), 1971 Norton Commando "Commando Bizarro" (a truly strange custom project), 1936 BMW R2 "Ediltrudis" (stock, currently out getting a pro restoration). www.vinceandersononline.com

Vigilance

I agree, and that is why I am

Post by Vigilance »

I agree, and that is why I am asking. It turns over smoothly at the foot crank. But I do not know if the time and risk is worth starting it. ($50 of parts and fluids ... double the value?)

Patina ... I took out a hose and sprayed. That is the beauty of the bike. I had 2 people stop because I had it in the driveway. This surprised me, and motivated me to seek advice on this forum.

I find myself on the owner end of "Pickers" ... really really difficult!

I own an M35A2 and appreciate classic machinery. This may not be my area of expert knowledge but I know when to keep something as close to original as I can.

I will post the final sales price here when all is done.
I appreciate any further input!
Vigilance my friends!
1966 R27 ... old school

anderson7585

You seem to have a handle on

Post by anderson7585 »

You seem to have a handle on things, I would suggest "preaching to the choir" by advertising it here and/or by placing an ad at www.ibmwr.org in the marketplace.

My guess is that it goes for 6-9K.

Vince
1973 BMW R75/5 (LWB) "Griselda" (stock looking but with logical/practical improvements), 1971 Norton Commando "Commando Bizarro" (a truly strange custom project), 1936 BMW R2 "Ediltrudis" (stock, currently out getting a pro restoration). www.vinceandersononline.com

miller6997

What a jewel! Just let us

Post by miller6997 »

What a jewel! Just let us know when you post it, wherever you post it!

(Incidentally, is that M35A2 your daily commuter?)
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

Vigilance

My other "Ride"

Post by Vigilance »

HA! My M35A2 is NOT a commuter .. it is a 1971 US Army Deuce and 1/2. It is a 10 wheel drive troop carrier. Carries about 6 tons without any problem. No power steering and gets about 10mpg.

But ... I keep it in original condition. It is the cool truck!
Attachments
deuce_web.jpg
deuce_web.jpg (423.71 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Vigilance my friends!
1966 R27 ... old school

R.D.Green

My own unscientific

Post by R.D.Green »

My own unscientific observation is that there seems to have been a resurgence in the interest in singles lately with an accompanying rise in prices. That said, I think the R27 that's for sale on IBMWR right now for $10.5k is wishful thinking. If memory serves, and despite what N.A.D.A. says, I don't think I've seen one sell for more than about $8,100 or so on eBay in the past year and that was for a Dover White in what was described as pristine aesthetic and mechanical condition. More recently, a couple of very nice black ones sold in the $6k - $6.5k neighborhood. I recently sold my very low mileage, original (and very good) paint, '66 R27 for $6,350 in a local sale. That was just about what I had in it considering the original price six years ago ($3,100) plus all that I had done to it. The many hours I spent in the shop with it I just chalked up to therapy time. It still needed a bunch of things (slingers, engine seals, steering head bearings, etc.) plus I was anticipating "butterhead" work and I just didn't want to get into all of that. Mostly, I loved it because it was so unusual. I may have made a mistake by selling, I don't know. But I was out of room and an original paint, mechanically restored R50/2 came along that was a deal I couldn't refuse. As for the bike in question, I would without question keep it as original as possible but, personally, I would spend time with it and carefully clean it up before offering it for sale. Beyond a point, I'm just not a "patina" guy. Patina sells but original and detailed sells better, IMO. There was no patina at the factory. Just my opinion.