If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

New Member - R50/2 vs R60/2 purchase advice

patrick.monahan

New Member - R50/2 vs R60/2 purchase advice

Post by patrick.monahan »

Hi Everyone,

I just joined the site in hopes of learning more about vintage BMW motorcycles. I'm looking to buy either an R50/2 or R60/2 late 60's vintage. I didn't see a way to search the forum so forgive me if this is a repeat thread.

- any thoughts on buying an r50 v r60? Any preferences for one or the other?

- Is the forum an appropriate place to ask about the value of a motorcycle? For example, for the bike in the link below, any guesses on a fair price?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-R-Se ... 128wt_1167

Thanks,
Patrick

'73 R60/5, '97 M3, '72 2002

808Airhead

I have never ridden a R50/2,

Post by 808Airhead »

I have never ridden a R50/2, but in articles/posts I have read,the opinion is that it is a very smooth bike/engine. My opinion on the matter is,how much do you weigh/are you riding 2-up?
Weighing 250 lbs.,I am glad I bought a R60/2,it can keep up with modern traffic,but V6 automatic minivans will still get the jump on you at stoplights. If you are of large stature,and/or going to ride 2 up a lot,get the 60/2,I really like mine!
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

Hrmit

R50/2 or/and R60/2

Post by Hrmit »

1. Buy one - any one - it will put a smile on your face every time you ride !!!
2. If you do have a choice go for the one that is complete and running . Will save you plenty agro and money
3. If you have a choice between two equally complete and running bikes - then choose the bigger engine .
4. But if you are a sucker for punishment ignore the above and buy a "project" and ten years later you will still be a sad piggy with no bike, no smile on your face when you look at your project , chasing after the illusive missing part with a flat pocket :
5. Then you put it up for sale and buy a complete bike and for advice on that, start at point 1.
"Make mine a boxer with a shaft"

Zeno Lee

I have a R50/2 and a R69S.

Post by Zeno Lee »

I have a R50/2 and a R69S.

I R50 is a smooth ride. It suffers from poor acceleration from a stop compared to the R69S (and I assume R60/2) but otherwise it's a really nice bike. I like how I can tune the carbs down so the idle RPM can be really low, like a heart beat.

Cruising on the highway I've had no problems reaching 85 mph, even though compression is not ideal (120psi on both cylinders)
'62 R69S
'65 R50/2
'76 R90/6

c.d.iesel

fair price

Post by c.d.iesel »

R50 is for cruising on a cloud. Not for racing yer buddies.

the proof is you taking it for a road test - then you'll know what to think.
$5200 is a fair price for this R50/2 - but you must see how well it starts, runs,
handles, and pick the owners brain as to what they feel the bike needs to be
perfect? I'd also be all over that Rudge sitting next to it. Not much for the
indian on the other side. They're usually Gold Plated prices

VBMWMO#5514- '64 R27 15K #383851 - '86 R65 22K #6128390 - Retired m/c road racer (1971-2000) - Former M-Benz Star Tech 19 years, BMW auto master tech, BMW bike cert tech 27 years. Now retired to Hillsboro, NH.

patrick.monahan

R50/2 vs R60/2 - Thanks for feedback

Post by patrick.monahan »

Thanks everyone for your input. You brought up some good points that I had not considered.
I expect I would ride this mainly around town and not do much freeway driving. Nor will I be screeching off the line. I was done with that years ago :-) I also expect I'll be riding mostly 1-up and tip the scales at a little over 200 lbs. Again, i'm not looking for speed but it is always nice to have extra power in reserve.
Thanks again,
Patrick
'73 R60/5, '97 M3, '72 2002

comet

If whoever put that front

Post by comet »

If whoever put that front fender on backwards did the rest of the work I would be very cautious.

jeff dean

R60/2

Post by jeff dean »

You will get lots of opinions on this.

I like the R60/2. It has a little more power than a 500 and is easier to start and run than an R69S.

http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm

http://marketplace.ibmwr.org/ads/rvbs

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Motorcycles ... _ASC&_sc=1

I had an R50/2 until a friend wanted to buy it. It was a nice bike. You just have the rev the engine up more than an R60/2. Really not a big deal. In your case, I would take either without worry. But if you have a choice among relative equals, take the 600.
[h3]Jeff Dean
Friend of the Marque, Co-Founder VBMWMO (1972)
http://bmwdean.com --- http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm[/h3]

[img]http://bmwdean.com/r75-200.jpg[/img]

rdnNHandAZ

You could spend some $ to make it origional

Post by rdnNHandAZ »

If you like that bike and if it does run well it seems worth $5500 (it will go higher). But I will offer from experience (I'm getting it now) you could spend a good bit making it "right." Front fender, air cleaner (its not an R69), pillion (no lady is going to want to ride on that seat!) headlight shell, switch, tires, number plate bracket, battery and slinger cleaning. Tires from this decade are important and the slinger cleaning might be able to wait a bit but those and the others are real money. Be prepared to have a couple thousand more in it. If you want to have it closer to origional (not restored mind you) plan on twice that.
I agree with Hrmit- get one, get it running, ride it. Simile. Then decide if you are happy with a $7,500 rider with clean slingers or if you also want an origional looking rider with the proper parts for ????
59 R60, 1976 CT90, 1983 R80RT(sold), 1998 R1100R 75th Anniversary Edition, 2002 F650GS new to me.
Lakes Region, NH & Sonoran Desert AZ "Have Leatherman Will Travel"

If you must make a mistake, make a new one each time.

stwilliams

I'd be very cautious about

Post by stwilliams »

I'd be very cautious about this bike. The pictures are still from the auction house. The seller obviously just picked it up. Not at an estate as advertised, but at the auction in Las Vegas. I'm not against anyone making a quick buck, but realize what you are getting. This bike is far from original, and will need a boat load of cash to get it proper. I think the current ebay bid far outweights its value. At the very least, the cosmetics will require 5k, and thats before you get into the motor, trans or final drive. If the odometer is a true indicator, at 65K miles it will need a fair bit of attention. I'd hold out for a better motorcycle at a better price if I were you. Just my $0.02.