If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Long trip preparation inquiry

San Arthur

Long trip preparation inquiry

Post by San Arthur »

Dear riders:

I’m taking a 1,200 mile ride on my ’58 R26 next October.
8 days long, from San Antonio to the Big Bend National Park and back.
We’ll have a truck with trailer following us, so if things come to worst I could always pack my things and ride in the truck for the remainder.
The bike is in good running condition.
The engine and gearbox were recently overhauled and I have new tires.
I sense I have a low top speed, but since my speedometer is not working properly I’ll check against my GPS this weekend. The final drive is 4.16.
I’ll also replace the metal air filter with a foam or paper one and check if I gain some extra speed.

My questions to you are:

1. What do you suggest I check and/or replace before I leave?
2. Other than one can of Anti Monkey Butt Powder for myself, what else do I need to bring with me for the R26 (replacement parts).

Your comments will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

San.Arthur.
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

schrader7032

An R26 in San Antonio...who

Post by schrader7032 »

An R26 in San Antonio...who knew! Good on you! How many miles a day do you think you're going to make? I've found when riding my /7 over a 10 hour day, I tend to average right around 45 mph. That's with some amount of time at 65 mph and of course stops for gas, food, etc. I would think that you're average speed is going to be something like 25-30 mph, so maybe 300 miles a day at best.

I tend to carry a lot of things for quick repairs. I've taken many long trips on my /7 and one longish one on my R69S. I tend to carry extra engine oil, spark plugs, tire repair kit, air pump, electrical bits like a voltage regulator (/7). Probably some extra wire, rope, duct tape. I suppose I might take a condensor and points, probably some small tube of silicone lubricant. I add a few tools beyond my tool kit, tools that I've found over the years I need to do routine maintenance.

I think you'ld have to let your knowledge of how the bike runs now as a guide to what to bring. I don't know if you'll be pushing the tranny or final drive very hard...does the R26 have an enclosed driveshaft? If you feel you might need oil there, you could carry that...or maybe that's just something you can buy as needed. I like to have my favorite engine oil (BMW) rather than rely on what I can find on the road.

Good luck...take some pictures or have your service crew take some as you ride!!

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Bruce Frey

That is a trip I want to make

Post by Bruce Frey »

That is a trip I want to make from Houston (when it is cooler)!

I would add a set of cables and spare bulbs. Those will probably fit in the headlight shell. If you have room, I would take a spare tube in addition to the repair kit. Make sure you have good tire irons.

Other things that can stop you dead are the coil and the carb float. Is your battery new? If those items are not fresh, I would take spares.

I anxiously await a ride report!

Bruce

San Arthur

Thanks for your suggestions

Post by San Arthur »

Kurt, is good to know there are e few /2 in town, we should get/ride together, weather permitting. Please PM me.
Bruce thanks for your suggestions and yes the battery is brand new.

My itinerary looks like this:
Day 1, 116 miles; Day 2, 203 miles; Day 3, 120 miles; Day 4, about 160 miles; Day 5, 110 miles; Day 6, about 100 miles; Day 7, about 80 miles and Day 8, 300 miles.
I'm a little concern about the vibrations, after a few hours my hands get num. Maybe I should wrap the grips in foam. What do you think?

Yes, the drive shaft is enclosed and thanks a lot for your suggestion, I'm taking note.
I know will be pushing the R26 very hard and after all the time, sweat and money I have invested it even sims stupid to do it, BUT I fix the bike to use it.
So what do you friends think, would you keep the R26 in the garage or would you take it for a long ride?
I'm curious to find out how far we will go. After WWII this machines were the only transportation available for many people.

Please send you comments and suggestions!

Arturo

Bruce Frey

If vibrations are bothersome,

Post by Bruce Frey »

I think your itinerary is certainly realistic. Do it! Ride them, don't hide them!

If vibrations are bothersome, they do make gel grips. You could also use gel bicycle handlebar tape to wrap your existing grips or use some "armaflex" pipe insulation (the black foam insulation) over them. Gel handlebar tape is probably more expensive than gel grips. The pipe insulation is cheap.

I use the gel tape on my road bicycle and it really helps!

Bruce

secretsenor

I did a similar size ride

Post by secretsenor »

I did a similar size ride last year on my R60. I rode from Newcastle, NSW to Melbourne, VIC and back via Canberra, ACT (Australia). I did an oil and spark plug change in Melbourne (half way) - I may not have needed to but I did it anyway. I did the same before leaving and when I returned. The bike started first time every time and put my riding partners (much younger) bike to shame with its smooth running and general good manners. I cleaned the fuel tap, and gave the bike a clean and general tune-up before leaving as well. All basic stuff - cheap insurance if you take it easy, do it thoroughly and use good products.

I had duct tape, spare cables, some wire, a comprehensive tool kit, tube, glue, emergency oil - very basic stuff.

And should you do it?
What reason could there be for restoring a bike other than to ride it? A long ride is appropriate - short trips with the engine temp etc going up and down with traffic and lots of hard braking is frustrating and not great for your bike. Long trips if you give the bike time to warm up every morning are good exercise for everyone involved! I would always take the first few miles nice and easy - let me and the bike wake up appropriately. The key is to take it easy and savor every moment - this is meant to be fun!

scottiesharpe

I regularly do 300 mile days

Post by scottiesharpe »

I regularly do 300 mile days on my 62 R60. The only things that have ever gone wrong are

- Flat tires (With the cost of tubes, I don't bother repairing them. You can replace a tube with the tire irons in the tool kit. Just undo one bead and set the tube inside.).

- Cracked floats. I have gone through three floats, the brass ones. I always carry two spares. I hear Vech has some plastic ones. I'm going to try them.

- Nuts and bolts. I have lost the pinch bolt on the earles fork axle once on a dirt road. I had a spare generic nut and bolt to replace it. Carry assorted nuts and bolts, insulated and safety wire, about a foot of electrical tape, etc.

- Ignition. My ignition has never failed me and it is all stock. However, I carry a spare coil, plugs, one spark plug wire and cap, points, condensor and a little wrench to undo the condensor wire nut just in case.

- Spare bulbs of course.

- I don't run a battery anymore.

- In case you are out at night, you MUST address your visibility. You will be moving slow and the /2 is a low, thin bike. I have a very bright LED tail lamp that I bought at a bike shop. Get the ones that run on AA, not AAA or button batteries as they run a lot longer and the batteries are easily bought at most fuel stations. It will make you a LOT more conspicuous to have a bright light running. I can't emphasize how bright this light it. You can see it for miles.

My /2 has never left me stranded and I would not hesitate to ride it anywhere.

Traversing the wilderness between Big Sur and King City.

Scottie Sharpe, Proprietor
Scottie's Workshop, 3282 E Hwy 4, Murphys CA
Full Service Workshop for vintage and classic BMW Motorcycles http://blog.scottiesharpe.com

San Arthur

Day light, if everything goes according to plan, yeah right....

Post by San Arthur »

I don't think Murphy's law apply to BMW's 1958 R26 and it's riders?

We are supposed to ride only during day light, but I will follow your advice and bring extra bulbs and use bicycling rear lights.
Thanks scottiesharpe.

San Arthur

This is the list so far:

Post by San Arthur »

Things to take with me:
ELECTRICAL
• voltage regulator
• spark plugs
• spark plug wire and cap
• condensor
• Ignition
• spare bulbs
• spare cables
• some wire
• very bright LED tail lamp
• foot of electrical tape
TIRES
• tire repair kit
• spare tube
• air pump
• good tire irons.
MAINTENANCE, ETC.
• rope
• duct tape
• tube of silicone lubricant
• carb float
• glue
• Extra engine oil
• Assorted Nuts and bolts
• tools to do routine maintenance
• little wrench to undo the condensor wire nut
• Shop Manual

Things to do:
• Foam insulation for handlebar and foot pegs
• give the bike time to warm up every morning
• take the first few miles nice and easy
• gave the bike a clean
• general tune-up
• cleaned the fuel tap

thaemlitz3321

I bought some gel bicycle

Post by thaemlitz3321 »

I bought some gel bicycle gloves and they keep the numbness away. On a long trip, check that you're wrist is not bent, but inline with your arm, this will help the blood to flow better to your hands.

I carry a 10 speed bicycle cable in my pouch. They're long enough you can sling them around anywhere. Use a hose clamp as a cable stay. Then just tie a knot where you need the ball to be. Works for brakes and clutch. Would be a little harder to make a throttle cable because of the small ends.

Hose clamps are strong. Cary some big ones. If a foot peg broke near the motor mount, you could hose clamp the peg onto the frame and not miss a beat. Good for all other bracket repairs as needed. Might be worth looking at brackets that could bend or break in a low speed or standing still tip over. Generic clutch handle from a dirtbike shop might prove handy. Start renting MacGyver episodes from NetFlix :)

Sand paper to clean plugs, points, etc. Old chopper trick is a match book. Strike zone is sand paper to clean plugs, points. Match book cover thickness is close enough to adjust your points gap.

Old IBA trick is to bring some hard candy. When you're mind starts to wander going across the desert, a taste of sour, or mint, can perk you up. Strap a water bottle where you can drink some on the road.

Man, I'm ready for a trip today. Why Wait :)

My brother and I did Houston ->Seminole Canyon -> Big Bend several years back. Really great country out there. I hear it's a little rough out there nowadays.