If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Broke Rocker

J-Sin

Broke Rocker

Post by J-Sin »

So I was at a stop light and I heard a pop and the bike was obviously running on one cylinder. After waiting an hour for a friend to pick me up I got it to my garage. I pulled the valve cover off and noticed that the intake rocker arm had broke where the push rod seats. Luckily I live right up the road from Autobahn Craftwerks and Len hooked me up with a used rocker. My question is, is this a common problem or did I have my valves adjusted too tight? .006 Intake and .008 exhaust right?

schrader7032

Those seem like good

Post by schrader7032 »

Those seem like good measurements. Do you still have the pieces? Can you look at the fracture surface to see where the crack started? Where I work, this is people's jobs, to look closely at fracture surfaces to see where it started, was it something that happened over time, or did it just break quickly. That's important to know in the aircraft industry.

I'd say that this type of thing doesn't happen often. These things are supposed to be hardened, especially the part that beats on the end of the pushrod.

How's Len doing? I bought my little green R25/2 from his shop about 18 months ago. A guy by the name of Thomas Federl owned it and I snatched while I could.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

J-Sin

Schrader - It appears to be a

Post by J-Sin »

Schrader - It appears to be a clean break but I'm no expert at breaks and fractures. As far as Len, he seemed to be getting around ok. I know he got sick (not sure what) a while back and downsized his shop. Still ornery as every though :)