If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Info on 1951 R51/3 please

butch housman

Buy a one gallon can of Gunk

Post by butch housman »

Buy a one gallon can of Gunk Carb cleaner & soak them over night, if they don't come free easily soak them until they do, It won't hurt the carbs.
b

stephan.pretorius

Question on the Neutral and Charge lights...

Post by stephan.pretorius »

I am finishing up the wiring on the motorcycle...

It has been awhile since i took the motorcycle apart and I have NO IDEA how to hold the lamp holder assembly on place inside the bucket. This is the twin bulb holder for the charge and neutral lights. Also, how are the lenses of those lamps held securely to the lamp bucket.

Thanks in advance.
Stephan
[hr]
Stephan Pretorius
New Hampshire, USA

808Airhead

The lamp holder is riveted in

Post by 808Airhead »

The lamp holder is riveted in place (the 2 small "bumps" under the lights. The lenses are "melted" into the holder at the extra tabs molded into the lense.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

stephan.pretorius

Lamp holder

Thomas,

Thanks! I saw on a picture (borrowed from eBay) that I was missing some hardware. When I removed my lamp bucket, it had damage in that area and the piece of hardware you described were not there...Where the rivets are supposed to be, I have 2 nice round holes. I guess i am now looking for that holder or something equivalent to hold the bulbs in place.

Thanks for your input!
Stephan
Attachments
bucket.jpg
bucket.jpg (14.08 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
[hr]
Stephan Pretorius
New Hampshire, USA

Darryl.Richman

/2 or /3 headlight?

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Of course,the original poster, seem to be talking about the headlight shell for a 1956-1969 "/2" bike.

A 1951 R51/3 headlight would have a round, green neutral light behind the speedometer, a round, red charge light to the left of the key, and a red bakelite fuse holder to the right of the key.
--Darryl Richman

stephan.pretorius

Lamp bucket

Thanks Darryl, I think by now I recognize that my motorcycle is not (by a long shot) an original anything...The numbers seem to indicate something while the parts show us something different. It's like an adopted kid I guess: not the original, but still a blessing and worth loving.

Best wishes,
Stephan
[hr]
Stephan Pretorius
New Hampshire, USA

stephan.pretorius

I am having the toughest time

I am having the toughest time getting the handlebar to go into the stays...Any advice please?

I have tried to wedge the ring open, but I am afraid that I may damage the stays.

With thanks
Stephan

Attachments
stays.jpg
stays.jpg (779.94 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
[hr]
Stephan Pretorius
New Hampshire, USA

robgernstetter

chrome and paint

Post by robgernstetter »

great bike and story....as to the issues on chrome, BMW sold an /2 accessory tank in the late 60's with chrome side panels...reference 1968 accessory catalog...as for paint, starting in the mid-sixties you could special order a bike in any BMW car color available that year for an upcharge

808Airhead

Stephen,I had the same

Post by 808Airhead »

Stephen,I had the same issue,I did get a couple scratches on the handle bars but this worked for me.. You can use a small chisel and tap it in the groove close to the edge of the hole,tap in the chisel tip,they are tapered and will open the hole gradually. Use some WD40 or lube to help it slip on,the hardest part is around the bend. These are pretty strong and as long as the chrome is good/not too thick on the riser,the chrome should not crack even when opening the hole wide. Good luck!! Here is my 1951 R51/3
Attachments
2016-2017_569.jpg
2016-2017_569.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 2881 times
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

stephan.pretorius

Thank you Thomas!

Nice motorcycle.

I tried a flat head screw driver (much less aggressive taper) and it did not work. I will set it aside for now and return to Mr. Betjemann, who lives nearby. Together with his wife, they wrote the book on restoring the R51s and I also purchased the stays from him. I'm sure he'll help me. My attempts have already left some marks on the chrome and I'd rather not damage it any further.

Best wishes

[hr]
Stephan Pretorius
New Hampshire, USA