If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Info on 1951 R51/3 please

R26

Thread resurrection !

Post by R26 »

Question on suspension.

Coming back from a ride i discovered that the lower plunger cup on the right side, was stuck against the other cup above it. It probably happened when I went over a road bump on "high" speed.

I remember reading discussions about using springs as an upgrade to the rubber bushings. Any feedback on that ? Still need the rubber bushings or simply replace them with the springs ?

mcsherry1328

Rear Suspension

Post by mcsherry1328 »

Having recently competed my R67/2 restoration and riding it for the first time this Spring I have put on 800 miles. My rear suspension had rubber cups that were worn out. I replaced them with springs, rubber cups not used. The rear suspension seems great ( for a 65 year old motorcycle) and I ride the back roads near by at 60-70 mph. Michael

R26

Thank you Michael

Post by R26 »

I will go ahead and look for a pair.

Sergio

stagewex

I'd be interested in knowing

Post by stagewex »

I'd be interested in knowing the details of spings replacing the rubber cups as well. One and only thing I believe I could improve on my r/60 making it more comfortable over the bumps.
I thought there were "helper springs" that you add but I might be thinking about another bike brand?
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L

stephan.pretorius

Painting the tank and pinstriping

Post by stephan.pretorius »

Work and other business kept me away from my motorcycle...BUT thanks to covid-19, I am a few steps away from riding this beauty (1951 R51/3)!

I hope those who helped me along the way are well and still around and wouldn't mind weighing in (again). I bought a tank and it needs some repair. It is dented above the emblem on the right. Where do we send the tanks to be painted and pinstriped?

I would love some pointers, especially from the more seasoned members. I don't mind shipping, but if delivery is an option, I would like it to be somewhere in New England. I have a call into Mr. Chris Betjemann as well, but he has not responded yet.
[hr]
Stephan Pretorius
New Hampshire, USA

stephan.pretorius

Re: Info on 1951 R51/3 please

Post by stephan.pretorius »

And off it goes to get pinstriping and the finishing touches...
R51-3.jpg
[hr]
Stephan Pretorius
New Hampshire, USA