If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Matching Numbers

J-Sin

Matching Numbers

Post by J-Sin »

Last year I purchased a 1963 R50/2 with a 1958 R60 engine for $3500. The bike was all original (except the engine of course) fully functional and running. I was told that the aluminum wheels and tank emblems where original and kinda rare. Plus it has a signed service sticker from Floyd "Pop" Dreyer on the forks. I'm not sure if these things add any value but I was intrigued. I rode it over the past year and recently have decided to do a complete engine rebuild. After purchasing all the appropriate tools, videos, books, machine work, and parts I am in for over $2000. My question is am I wasting my time and money on a bike without matching numbers? I love the bike and have enjoyed the whole process so it shouldn't matter but it's nice to know I'm not throwing money away.

R68

...Hmmmm...Yup, your wasting

Post by R68 »

...Hmmmm...Yup, your wasting your time and money...You have a very nice motorcycle that you can have alot of fun with, but don't think in terms of "value" or financial gain. Being a miss-match, and a /2, it's not worth a great deal. Just now, and with the current economy, hardly any BMW motorcycle is worth much money...but just because something isn't worth alot of money dosen't mean you can't enjoy it. All the sharpies are hawking clapped out R69S now: none bring very much on "e bay". I would not think that "Pop'" Dreyer adds anything to the value of the machine! Another fella on this vintage BMW website mentioned Paul Swensen; I'd pay a very significant premium for any drivetrain rebuilt by Swensen. He's low visibility on the "internet", but the real no bull-s**it oldtime rebuilder...

thaemlitz3321

You've made it clear you're

Post by thaemlitz3321 »

You've made it clear you're interested in working on your BMW and enjoying it. If $2K is all you needed to get your bike where you want it to be, you're doing great. Plus, if you find a matching numbers bike (they're not that rare), you'll have the tools to restore it. How great would it be to find the matching frame after redoing the engine!

J-Sin

Thanks for the encouragement

Post by J-Sin »

Thanks for the encouragement :)