If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Push Pull Throttle?

jonnyincognito

Push Pull Throttle?

Post by jonnyincognito »

I have another question, is the throttle supposed to be push/pull? I've been meaning to ask this. I've noticed that when I left off the throttle, as in take my hand off of it, it stays in its current position. I actually need to roll the throttle forward to get it to go back to idle. Nice on the highway, but I'm thinking that's not typical. The only bike I ever had that required that type of setup had flatslide carbs. These Bings have a return spring internal to the carb right? Is that supposed to be enough to return it to idle when I let off the throttle? I guess I'm wondering if my cables are starting to seize.

Joshua

808Airhead

That is how it was designed,a

Post by 808Airhead »

That is how it was designed,a "cruise control".
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

jonnyincognito

Alright, just wanted to make

Post by jonnyincognito »

Alright, just wanted to make sure. I think I had asked Kurt about that previously, but couldn't find an email about it. Heh...Thanks!

thaemlitz3321

Technically, a push pull

Post by thaemlitz3321 »

Technically, a push pull throttle assembly has 2 cables attached to a carb. One cable pushes while the other pulls. A push pull throttle will snap shut just like any other throttle.

Regardless, a sticky throttle is common on the old beemers and does make a nice cruise control. To remove the cruise control feature, lube up the cables, grease throttle chain, and check your slide springs. The soft carb body get's warn by the steel slide and often causes it to stick just enough for cruise feature to be activated.

schrader7032

Cruise Control in Grip

Post by schrader7032 »

The "cruise control" is actually a spiral spring inside the throttle tube. Duane Ausherman has this picture on his website:

My R69S must be missing this feature as the throttle will snap shut quite hard; I have to really keep pressure on to overcome the spring force. I plan to replace the throttle tube at some point...just haven't done that yet.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

schraubenkoenig

The same Throttle is mounted

Post by schraubenkoenig »

The same Throttle is mounted on my bike(R25). It has to stay in its position- as the bike does not have indicators and you have to give hand signals at turns. Imagine turning right with the throttle closed.... I know the same grip from other bikes of that age. It will not closed by itself- no matter how well it's greased...
1954 R25/3
not working because - but instead

thaemlitz3321

Hand Signals

Post by thaemlitz3321 »

All hand signals should be given with the left hand. Pat your helmet to indicate police to on coming traffic (throw back to the old gumball police lights).

schrader7032

I've heard about the helmet

Post by schrader7032 »

I've heard about the helmet pat recently...not something that would come to my mind if I saw it. What I usually do is to basically take my left hand and hold it out while "pushing" down a few times, to indicate slow it down. Sometimes I acentuate it by putting my hand down by my side and leaning over somewhat to suggest getting it "on the down low" or whatever.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Darryl.Richman

Curiously...

Post by Darryl.Richman »

The hand signals we use in the US are not universal. Nobody I've met in Europe understands holding your left hand up to signal a right turn -- they all put their right arm out straight. Seems like it could be a problem if you wanted to use the throttle or the front brake, but that's what I've seen and been told.
--Darryl Richman