If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Puff of smoke?

jonnyincognito

Puff of smoke?

Post by jonnyincognito »

Hey all,

Still a bit new with these bikes, and I have another question. Last weekend I took a good long ride on the bike, and then put it up in the shed. After sitting on the side stand all week, when I went to fire up my R60 there was a puff of white smoke from the stand side exhaust. It was very noticeable, but cleared almost as soon as it appeared. I didn't leave the petcock on, and this is the first time I've seen smoke. I usually forget to turn off the petcock and end up going back out to turn it off a few hours later or the next day. Is this typical? Should I not park it on the side stand? Is there more to worry about?

Joshua

808Airhead

Yes,if you leave it on the

Post by 808Airhead »

Yes,if you leave it on the sidestand it is,park it on the centerstnd next time and it should not puff anymore.It happened to me twice and was only when parked on the sidestand.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

jonnyincognito

Yeah, parked it on the center

Post by jonnyincognito »

Yeah, parked it on the center stand over the weekend and it didn't do it. What causes this? Fuel or oil draining into the combustion chamber?

Joshua

schrader7032

It's oil that dribbles down

Post by schrader7032 »

It's oil that dribbles down the lower cylinder bore and finds its way past the rings into the combustion chamber. Especially if the split in the rings have migrated around to be at the bottom.

The oil in the sump will be below the lower portion of the engine case opening. Another thing to consider is to stop the bike and remain level for a period of time or even tip the bike to the right so that any residual oil can drain out into the sump. Then put it on the side stand. Most people just use the center stand, if available.

Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jonnyincognito

Ah, makes sense!

Post by jonnyincognito »

Ah, makes sense! Thanks!

Joshua