If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Blasted my R69S engine case,the safe way.......

808Airhead

Hello Stelios my Greek

Post by 808Airhead »

Hello Stelios my Greek friend,
Please do not give me so much credit,I simply saw it on a vintage VW website and tried it out,since I knew it would work since it really is just a miniature home made version of a actual blast gun. This is smaller and you can use less media since our parts are so small,we don't need a big rig,this is perect for small parts,so please,show the pictures and pass it on,hopefully some will enjoy the convenience of blasting your own parts.
The trick is to make sure you get the type of air gun you see in the picture,with the long,thin air tube tip,they are on ebay,etc.
I used 3/8" or 8mm i.d. hose and this allows the tip of the gun to enter through a small cut in the tube yet allow a small space to create a vacuum and pull the baking soda up the hose. If the hose is too big,you will not have the high air speed and the blasting will be weak and not clean parts well. If the hose is too small then the soda cannot make it past the tip in the hose. Look closely at the picture and see the small clearance under the gun tip..that is just right. Try different size hose if you have like,but you will see it is a balance to get it strong enough to get the baking soda media to work.
Good luck!!! I see no problem blasting in place,just hose it off afterwards and maybe wipe it down with a rag & WD40.
Here is a carb I soda blasted
A VW engine I restored and I used the same gun to soda blast it,and I think it worked very well for this as well.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69