If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Blasted my R69S engine case,the safe way.......

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

Here are some pictures;
Before;
And after
Here is my setup,simply some tubing,a air pistol,boxes of baking soda,compresor at 125 psi,and the rod attached to the tube is so you can manipulate the end of the hose for suction of the media.Takes minutes to do,and is cheap and you can even blast the inside of the cases.This may
not work for heavily soiled cases,but for light spraying I am pleased.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

Barry Robin

Post by Barry Robin »

okay, i'm suitably impressed. sign me up!

b

John0313

Post by John0313 »

Looks great to me!

Did you just spray it outside (not use a cabinet)?

How much Baking Soda did you go through to do the engine case?

Thanks-

John

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

Thanks! Yes,I just sprayed it outside,there is quite a dust cloud,but it is water soluble/non-toxic/biodegradable,so no worries there,just hose down the driveway after.Only thing is you are COVERED in baking soda after,lol.I was breathing some in,but seem to have not suffered any ill-affects......so far.(Just kidding).
I went thrue 3 small boxes of baking soda for the case,then 1.5 for the timing case cover.
I degreased the block and cover inh a solvent tank,and the baking soda took care of the staining,and there are no glass beads to ruin those brand new engine bearings I am going to install!
The hose is 3/8" i.d. from the hardware store and the air gun is a 6 dollar ebay special.You need the skinny tip on the gun for max velocity/pressure.The air blowing thrue the tbe makes a vacuum sucking up the baking soda,and I "stir" the wand in the box to get even distribution.
Thomas M.

Hawaii

I have a sand blast cabinet

Post by Hawaii »

I have a sand blast cabinet, it is currently set up for sandlblast right now. If you need to blast some more, you are welcome to use it.

rosenstein6900

Media Blaster

Post by rosenstein6900 »

Awesome technique. Thank you for posting. I am surprised that you used only 3 small boxes - that does not seem like much.

HAns
1967 R69S, 1963 R60/Steib Spezial

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

Actually I would say they are "medium" sized boxes,not the really tiny ones you can buy.It is a good idea to crush/sift the baking soda so no clumps can clog the hose.It will not take out the really deep corrosion,but worked good enough fpr my project.I iwll be doing my carbs next,and will post pictures of that as well.
Thomas M.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Getting close to putting my R69S engine together,however I wanted the cases to look good so after reading horror stories about media blasting I decided not to use glass bead or walnuts,I used BAKING SODA!
Using a small pistol type air gun,I made a home-made siphon blast gun and with some baking soda proceeded to blast my engine,and it came out GREAT!
This is awesome since there is no harmful residue,it is non-toxic and you can use it to clean your carbs,case,whatever.It is mild but strong enough to make the cases look like new again.And will not make the pores of the case look "too big".....I will post some pictures,but just wanted to share,since I am happy with the results.It cost about $20.00 in supplies to do the case.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.

808Airhead

Iam reposting this to share

Post by 808Airhead »

Iam reposting this to share with members that have asked me about the case finish. It still looks great over 2 years later!
Here she is presently,you can see the "yellowing" of the header pipes meaning "I ride the damn thing".....1800 miles so far after resto,I love it! In fact I just did a 45 mile ride yesterday....just gets smoother the more I drive it.
Thomas M.

zvouzvouinos

Very impressive resault my

Post by zvouzvouinos »

Very impressive resault my friend. I will keep that in mind when I will clean mine. Do you think that the whole engine and the carbs have to be dissasembled or I can use it as they are and just cover the painted areas as is the frame or the polished and the chromed parts?
I hope you do not have any objections if I post your idea and pics in a Greek forum in which I am a member, do you?
Thanks for sharing.
Stelios
Stelios from Corfu Greece.