If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Front Horn/Coil Mount - What is it suppose to look like?

c.d.iesel

R27 steering damper horn coil mounting

Post by c.d.iesel »

that looks like the bottom of the metal mounting for the steering damper
has broken off - below your two holes - your right

and it's part of the frame - I think - but I would have to remove my tank
to really see it(maybe in the future when time permits) - it's impossible to see all assembled

do you have the rest of the steering damper parts?

then you need the 2 brackets which are bent to fit in
that really tight area to mount the coil and horn -
on your 2 holes

U P-D A T E RESPONSE
hope this helps
photo from another board member here restoriing a R27
VBMWMO#5514- '64 R27 15K #383851 - '86 R65 22K #6128390 - Retired m/c road racer (1971-2000) - Former M-Benz Star Tech 19 years, BMW auto master tech, BMW bike cert tech 27 years. Now retired to Hillsboro, NH.

kronos

r27 pictures of Horn/coil/steering dampener cluster

Post by kronos »

I appreciate your pictures, and parts diagram, I have both of these, but as you noticed, neither of these show a picture of what the frame mount strap loolks like and how the coil and horn is either attached to the stap or mounted to the bolt in the parts diagram. If you can supply a picture from the bottom of your bike looking up towards the front of the frame that would help me understand how all of this hooks together.

Regards,
kronos

c.d.iesel

up-dated response

Post by c.d.iesel »

LOOK ABOVE
VBMWMO#5514- '64 R27 15K #383851 - '86 R65 22K #6128390 - Retired m/c road racer (1971-2000) - Former M-Benz Star Tech 19 years, BMW auto master tech, BMW bike cert tech 27 years. Now retired to Hillsboro, NH.

VBMWMO

Front Horn/Coil Mount - What is it suppose to look like?

Post by VBMWMO »

Here is a picture of what I have on my R27. What is the metal piece suppose to look like, obviously mine was broken and someone drilled into the frame to attach another "cludgy" piece.

As you can see there are two drilled holes in the frame - I don't believe either one is original. If you look a little lower you can see where the metal strap is broken. What is this suppose to look like - from the bmw parts book it looks like this is where the coil, horn and connection to the steering dampener is suppose to mount?

picture of r27 frame - front horn, coil mount

Any help appreciated..
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.