If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Bluemoonscooter

schrader7032

Bluemoonscooter

Post by schrader7032 »

I have no direct experience with them...but from what I've read, it's a mixed bag...some like the stuff, some don't. You might try searching the forum and see what others have said.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

808Airhead

Bluemoonscooter

Post by 808Airhead »

So far the Enduro bags I bought (2 sets) are great.
The axles I bought are great
The pushrod tubes in SS are great
The rear shcok caps in SS are great
The stainles steel stuff is really nice.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

tkb

Stainless Steel from Bluemoonscooter

Post by tkb »

Danny is a good guy who answers emails and get the product into the mail promptly. I've bought several SS items from him and thought all were nicely made--that is until I ordered a pair of SS handlebar risers with the idea of installing them on US bars (with the cross brace that requires spreading the risers).

I promptly ran into trouble attempting to install the risers--with only a modest pressure to spread the first riser, it snapped into two pieces. I emailed Danny about the problem and he responded that his riser cannot be spread for installation onto US bars, one must buy the US handlebars from him with the risers already installed. I suggested that he add this information to his eBay posting.

Since then I've heard that Bluemoonscooter's SS Flanders side stand is prone to breaking. In short, the stainless steel items from Bluemoonscooter are quite brittle. If the item is decorative, no problem, but I am now wondering about the durability/safety of the stainless axles I bought from him.

Anyone on the forum have any thoughts on the subject?

Cheers,

Tandy

808Airhead

Bluemoonscooter

Post by 808Airhead »

That is interesting........Stainless steel is known to be brittle compared to mild steel.........I could see the risers easily snapping when spread for US bars....as well as the flanders stand snapping.....stainless is just not something that can flex very well.
As for the axles,they are rather beefy,and would be surprised to see one of those snap........I surely hope that is not the case!!!!
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

nutters1016

ss axil etc. not all equal

Post by nutters1016 »

From my old machine shop experiance there are least for or five types of SS round bar available. The nomenclature escapes me but usage determines type used...and not all stainless is non magnetic . Hydraulic piston shafts differ from pumpshafts or where conditions might attack mild steel for instance. SS is not always an advantage for strenght but where corrosion is an issue such as marine use. I'm sure a vew engineers will weigh in and provided much more acurate info but my old forman alwas choice mild steel for durability...hope this helps a little...cheers frank

VBMWMO

Bluemoonscooter

Post by VBMWMO »

How accurate are their reproductions?
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.

miller6997

I have bought several

Post by miller6997 »

I have bought several stainless odds and ends from Danny and have been generally satisfied with the quality.
  • His air intake tubes for the R69S were a poor fit and he gave me a full refund. I don't know if he ever corrected that problem.
  • I have one of his stainless side stands, and the mounting bracket (not the long arm) broke without warning after two or three years of use. I guess that's consistent with the brittle nature of the material. I wrote to him and he promptly replaced the part with a much stronger version, no charge. So far, so good. (If it breaks again I will go back to the butt-ugly Flanders version.)
  • I sent Danny a question about spreading his stainless risers for mounting on US bars, and he immediately replied that I should not try it. I have considered buying his knock-off US bars with the risers already installed, but so far haven't done it.
For comparison, I bought a stainless nut-and-bolt kit from Blue Moon Cycle (not bluemoonscooter) and thought it was uneven in quality and missing some bits. Nobody's perfect. Vech is no doubt the best source for whatever he sells, but there are a lot of bits he (so far) does not offer.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

tkb

SS Riser Tale of Woe and Redemption

Post by tkb »

"I sent Danny a question about spreading his stainless risers for mounting on US bars, and he immediately replied that I should not try it. I have considered buying his knock-off US bars with the risers already installed, but so far haven't done it. "

Perhaps my adventures with stainless steel (SS) risers will help others avoid harm's way.

I broke two out of three SS risers from BlueMoonScooter trying to spread them for installation on US bars. Two of the three did not even start to spread, but snapped on the first application of pressure. Interesting, the third riser spread open for the installation and then closed over the bar, then opened again for removal, all without breaking.

I then bought two SS risers from Vech (I know, I know--where I should have started) and had absolutely no problem installing them on my US bars. Unfortunately, Vech's risers are pricey, and the D-bolts and nuts are not included and cost extra if you need them, but, as the saying goes: "It only costs 150% more to go first class."

To Danny's credit (BlueMoonScooter), when I wrote him about the first broken riser, he explained that his risers cannot be spread, but sent me a replacement anyway--it broke. Danny does sell SS US bars with the risers installed. In my opinion, this is your only option if you go the BlueMoonScooter route.

I still consider Danny to be responsive and honestly trying to bring a quality product to market--I did suggest that he annotate his web posting for SS risers to include a warning that spreading his risers for installation on US bars should not be attempted.

If anyone needs one tested BlueMoonScooter SS riser, I got one. You get what you pay for--free to any fellow member. The two broken risers might make a nice wind chime if you're interested--they do sparkle in sunlight.

Cheers to all,

Tandy

Ramburger

Bluemoonscooter

Post by Ramburger »

I like the guy! I've bought side mirrors, rear fender nuts&bolts, handlebar blinkers w/ relay and switch, and other assorted tidbits, and I can't say I've been anything other than completely happy with the quality. He also responds and ships quickly.

For "bigger stuff" I use Ulismotorradladen in Germany, they are amazing, if somewhat pricey.

jonnyincognito

I picked up a set of the

Post by jonnyincognito »

I picked up a set of the Enduro saddle bag repos from him. The bags were of good fit and finish, although I might remove the rivets and go with something with a bit more backing on it.

While the bags are great, the mounting hardware needs a lot of work to get it to fit properly. That said, with some extra washers, a stepped drill bit, and taking your time, you can get them to work properly.