If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

False Neutral - transmission rebuild?

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I'll speculate! Ha, ha...

I would first be sure that you got the bike shifted into the gear solidly. I believe there's been some discussion on this forum about techniques for shifting. A couple of things that might help...it might not be your situation, but definitely something to try. The first is to preload the shift lever with your foot just prior to performing the shift. I've experiemented with this a little bit and it probably has more of an effect on quietening the "clunk". As I said there's been some discussion by Allan Atherton about the timing of the using the hand lever, foot lever, and throttle position to keep things smooth and quiet.

The second thing that I've trained myself to do is to post-load the shifter. I first discovered this to help with false neutrals on my /7 as I up shifted. Ocassionally, I'd get between gears between 3-4 and 4-5. What I do is continue to hold up pressure on the foot lever as I'm letting out the hand lever and adding throttle. This has all but eliminated my false neutrals. I do that on my R69S too. It works well unless I get hurried and then I'll mess things up.

Beyond that, you might just have some problems with what I think are called the shift dogs. I believe this is #16 and #17 in this picture:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=23&fg=05

The male extensions on #17 must fit the holes in #16. Either the extensions on 17 or the holes in 16 get rounded and don't stay meshed. Once it gets bad, there's really nothing to do but get the parts changed.

That's my understanding of what you might try to fix it or what might be happening.

Kurt in SA.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

c.d.iesel

mis-shifts

Post by c.d.iesel »

........and never laugh

but even a change, different boot/shoe can cause you
not to lift the shift lever fully causing a need to really focus,
being really deliberate with each shift

down shifting is never a problem because the foot loves to jab down,
but lifting-upshifting requires different foot/ankle mechanics.

and how about a change in your oil grade since the 'rebuild'?
to thick ? does it happen only when the box is cold?

VBMWMO#5514- '64 R27 15K #383851 - '86 R65 22K #6128390 - Retired m/c road racer (1971-2000) - Former M-Benz Star Tech 19 years, BMW auto master tech, BMW bike cert tech 27 years. Now retired to Hillsboro, NH.

johnnytodd

Post by johnnytodd »

As its deep freeze here in Minnesota, I'll have to experiment with shifting technique in the Spring. I'll report back then with results. Thanks for the suggestions, John

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

How long have you had the bike and how many miles are on it?I can only share my limited experience,which included many false neutrals when I first started riding my R60/2.
I learned quickly that this gearbox likes smooth,deliberate shifts and you cannot shift it "too hard" or "too light-footed".......there will be either a very loud,expensive sounding shift,or a ratio that is not completely engaged,and will pop out.
There is a local aircraft mechanic/BMW guru and he said "let off the throttle,count 1-2 and shift"...this and lightly putting pressure/pre-loading the shifter has really worked for me.I can sometimes "snick" in a perfect shift with the lightest click,vs. the loud,expensive sounding "clonk" on the upshifts.
Still working on the downshifts however,I have tried letting off the gas,pre-load slightly,and lightly blip the throttle as I downshift,it has made the downshifts smoother for sure.
It is one aspect of many that I enjoy about this BMW bike,it is very satisfying to "get it right",which I am still working on every day I ride it.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Hi all, Last 2 times I got my R60 up to speed on the freeway it popped out of 4th gear into a false neutral - and reved HIGH!. Can anyone speculate on the neccessay cure? John
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.