If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Considering a 1957 R50

schrader7032

Considering a 1957 R50

Post by schrader7032 »

A little over 13000 R50s were made...not exceedlingly rare. Would you be second owner? You're probably right about all of the work...I certainly wouldn't start it until I had done everything you said or at least looked it over.

I like original and that would be a plus for me. Possibly if the owner has sentimental value and you feel you could offer the same treatment of the bike that he has given it (well, at least not the last 17 years!!), he might relent to selling it cheaper if you'll take good care of her. If you're located near each other, you could keep the current owner in the loop and let him see it when it's up and running again.

It would be fun to tinker with something that was essentially original and to bring it back to life. Expect to put at least another $5K into it depending on how much you can do. You'd probably end up with a $5-6K bike in the end, but it would look a lot better!

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

808Airhead

Considering a 1957 R50

Post by 808Airhead »

5k sounds like a lot for a resto project. I bought my 10k mile runner for $6300.00.Look on ebay,there is a R60 or R50 on there for $3500.00 right now.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

RainyRider

Considering a 1957 R50

Post by RainyRider »

Recently bought a 1957 R-50 for $4k; 39K mi; decent looking, not prfect. Yes, everything probably needs looked at, if not repaired. Good luck, have fun.

fred t.

Allan.Atherton

Considering a 1957 R50

Post by Allan.Atherton »

5k sounds like a lot for a resto project. I bought my 10k mile runner for $6300.00.Look on ebay,there is a R60 or R50 on there for $3500.00 right now.
About ten years ago you could take a $5,000 runner or a $2,500 rolling basket case, rebuild all the mechanicals for $5,000, and restore all the cosmetics for another $5,000.
About five years ago, I watched a $5,000 runner rebuilt and restored for $15,000.
Nowadays the total investment in such a restoration often tops $20,000.

Allan.Atherton

Considering a 1957 R50

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... I bought my 10k mile runner for $6300.00... I don't think you have had the bike long enough to be sure of the actual miles or running condition. The silver residue in the pan, the rust-covered headers, and rusted-out Kava mufflers were inconsistent with the condition of the speedo face and the tank, which appear newer. You need to put a few more thousand miles on the bike to be surer of what it is.

My bike with 9k miles showing on a pristine speedo ran well, and I put 1,000 more satisfactory miles on it. But after finding out some history from successively previous owners, I had it torn down. It had 15,000 miles on it 20 years ago, now had the piston to cylinder clearance of 30,000 miles, and the slingers were almost full.

808Airhead

Considering a 1957 R50

Post by 808Airhead »

Mr Atherton,with all due respect,you are judging from pictures on the internet,whereas I have the actual machine in MY POSESSION.I understand you had a experience with a bike you "thought" was low mileage,but ended up not being the case,however I am a veteran European car mechanic,and part of my job is inspecting parts for wear/mileage as well as condition,and I have posted pictures of the ORIGINAL speedometer with the actual date stamped "2/64" which corresponds to the year of the bike,and there is not ONE thing on this bike that would make me think otherwise of its condition/./mileage.Granted,the mufflers were rusted out from sitting,and if this was not a "issue" how come stainless steel mufflers are so popular?
Just because YOU were fooled,does not mean that others cannot score a actual low mileage survivor.This bike is pristine mechanically,the carb slides are brand new condition,original sealant on the points screws,as well as ALL the electrical/magneto/advance mechanism,I mean "who" would replace all of these parts with "NOS" if they were even available ???
BTW I looked on the bottom of the tank and found the initials of the factory pinstriper,so IMO this is another clue to its condition.
Just agreeing to disagree,,,,,,, :lol:
Thomas M.

John0313

Considering a 1957 R50

Post by John0313 »

Thomas -

Allan Atherton has been riding BMW motorcycles for over forty years, and has done a great deal to share this knowledge and experience with what I will call the "next generation" of vintage BMW enthusasts. His advice is respected by many that belong to this club and others.

I would at the very least take under consideration what he has to say without attacking him - even if it could mean your purchase might not have been in reality what was presented to you.

From your post below, you have about a month or so of BMW ownership under your belt, with little or no mileage.

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:24 pm Post subject: Any Hawaii "Airheads"here?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,my name is Thomas and I am a newb /2 fanatic.I have been into vintage Lambretta/Vespa for over 20 years,but now I have evolved to the beauty of the BMW motorcycle.
I am the proud owner of a 1966 R69S resto project and a R60/2 with 10k original miles.I will be converting it from US spec to Euro spec and am looking forward to rebuilding the R69s motor.
It is great to know there are resources available for technical information as well as parts.It is quite amazing to see that some of the BMW parts are actually cheaper than some vintage Lambretta/Vespa parts!!
Hope to get to know some on here.It has been great reading,especially the "great oil debate"!!
Being a long time modern VW/Audi mechanic,I feel these bikes are right up my alley,and looking forward to getting my first ride on my R69S in about 3-5 years when it is done!
Aloha from Oahu Hawaii

johnnytodd

Considering a 1957 R50

Post by johnnytodd »

Isettaman,

I've just finished (almost) getting my '69 R60US to the condition I want. Original paint and (maybe) 30K original miles. The bike cost $4500 which I thought was a decent value. After new pistons, valves, carburetors, exhaust, tires, spokes & slingers cleaned - not to mention the dozens of misc bits - I'm into the project for $10K :cry: The costs add up real fast so I would urge you to get the bike for less than $5000

808Airhead

Considering a 1957 R50

Post by 808Airhead »

John,I understand where you are coming from,and I too apprecite anybodies free "advice",however,I have also been collecting vintage Lambretta & Vespa scooters for 27 years,and have a good grasp on what has been refurbished and what is original.
I am not trying to sell my bike,so there is no reason to "pretend" it is low mileage.As I have posted before,the bike is pristine in every way mechanically,and other than light surface rust and the mufflers rotting due to long storage/condensation/wet climate,the bike is in excellent original shape for what it is.
There is all original nuts & bolts,the speedo has the correct date on it,and works,the electircal is in perfect condition/untouched,the engine runs perfectly with only minor adjustments,even all the bulbs are German!!
The headers have surface rust but are not siezed to the heads,the nuts spinning off perfectly with the factory wrench,the carb slides have barely any scratching from use,and the "pegs" are in perfect/new condition on the slides......the bike IS original,and only Allen seems to think otherwise because he was duped once.I understand he was trying to help,but is stubborn and will not look at the pictures and see for himself.
I challenge you to find a NOS or low mileage speedo with the correct date stamp for your bike,as well as brand new Bing carbs with metal needles......I mean,it is ALL there! :D
Look at this picture,does everything look restored? The speedo has the date right on there....look at the flasher wiring,it has the original worn out headlight grommet that has slid down from the headlight bucket where it was installed 45 years ago....I don't know anybody restoring motorcycles that would do that (install a half rotten grommet)
Thomas M.

Allan.Atherton

Considering a 1957 R50

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... the bike IS original,and only Allen seems to think otherwise because he was duped once... is stubborn and will not look at the pictures and see for himself... Should not have commented, sorry to have caused a problem.