If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Proposal for Self Cleaning Slinger Rings

schrader7032

Marc - Welcome to the forum!

Post by schrader7032 »

Marc -

Welcome to the forum! When I was looking into the slinger work on my R69S, I talked to a guy at the former BMW shop in Austin...I believe his name was Les Rohan. He said he did this type of work on his own time and that had done a handful of /2 engines. In the end, I opted for a guy in the St. Louis area. The Missouri guy had more time inside these engines...not to mention that my parents lived in the area so I had free room and board! I ended up carrying the engine in my car to him and he was kind enough to do the work while I waited. The heads were in need of further repair, so he sent them out and they were finally delivered back to me.

On my R25/2, I drove the engine less transmission and electrics to Vech for him to do the work. When it was done several months later, I drove back to pick it up.

So, I had to add motels and gas costs to my round trips from San Antonio, but that was what worked for me.

The only other vintage bike guy I can think of is Mikey at Martindale Motorcycle Motorworks in Martindale, Tx. I never inquired how far back he went to work on these. But you might ask him about it. There might be someone in the Houston area but I don't really have any knowledge of anyone.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

morrison830

Kurt...thanks for the info.

Post by morrison830 »

Kurt...thanks for the info. I know Bill Hamilton from my Porsche 356 project....he has a shop in Martindale, so I'll follow up on Mikey and see how much he knows about the "slinger business". We do make an occasional trip to Florida to visit kin, so it wouldn't be terribly out of the way to go by way of Sturgis, MS and deliver the engine to Vech....perhaps pick it up on the way back. Anyway, appreciate the info and your assistance.

P.S. are you familiar with the Harvest Classic Rally....supposedly for vintage bikes....scheduled to take place this Friday/Saturday in Luckenbach???
1965 BMW R50/2
1997 Moto Guzzi Cali 1100 (75th Anniv.)

schrader7032

Yes, the Harvest Classic is

Post by schrader7032 »

Yes, the Harvest Classic is this weekend...I've been to it a time or two. Weather should be good!

http://vintagebmw.org/v7/node/13730
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.