If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Got my 10k original mile 64' R60/2

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Sounds great! I can see the end-to-end grin from here!

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

R.D.Green

Post by R.D.Green »

Congratulations! Now - - Pictures! More details!

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

Sorry it took this long,but here are some pictures......the first order of business was getting it running right.I have drained the oil,cleaned/removed the pan & strainer as well as painting the pan and straightening out the dimples caused by over tightening the oil pan bolts.I also placed two 3" long magnets in the pan to help catch the magnetic swarf..
After adjusting the valves,and changing the trans/driveshaft/final drive oil,I proceeded to synch the carbs.This was a lesson in patience,and got it to idle perfectly even though I have yet to actually strip them and clean them.
It runs so sweetly,I had to take it on a couple short rides,and it runs/rides like a nice,tight 10,000 mile machine that it is.
If you look,some aluminum bits were polished,and this was by hand with some really good quality polish.Some bits are still dull from sitting for 40 years.
If you look at the seat,this reflects on the condition of the whole bike,which is a true survivor and I will enjoy/cherish every mile under my stewardship (I know it sounds corny........... :? )but I cannot believe how lucky I am to score this bike.
I will be restoring a 66'R69S and it is great to have a running R60/2 while I take my time and restore the R69S properly and not feel rushed.......
There are some parts on this bike that suffered from corrosion,the pushrod tubes are rusty,so the PO painted them with BBQ paint.
The exhaust is new stainless Keihan,and fit/sounds great!and I got all of my parts from Benchmarkworks,they sell VERY GOOD quality parts and their service is excellent!!! 8)
I will be changing the seat to a single saddle,and Euro bars.
Enjoyt the pics,tell me what you guys think! :D
Here is a picture of the forks and the original cable ties
My junkppile!!
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

Wanted to add.....the guy I bought it from had been told about a "old motorcycle" and he saw it under a sheet in a old widows garage,and it was her husbands and he only drove it a little in the summer months,and only put 10270 miles on it betwen 1964 and 1988.
It has low miles but unfortunately these were short trips it seems,when I removed ghe oil pan there was a layer of silver silt,however a lot of this looked like aluminum and did not find any big pieces of metal.Since there are aluminum timing gear,I am assuming this is from that gear breaking in,and after changing the oil the engine still sounds perfect.(crosses fingers)Really excited about this bike! :shock:
Thomas M.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Really looks nice! Some minor corrosion, but the paint and pinstripes look very good. It's great to know that you've "saved" another one!!

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

johnnytodd

Post by johnnytodd »

Sweet bike! Now you just need to sell those old Vespa GSs and make space for the BMW :wink:

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

.....the guy I bought it from had been told about a "old motorcycle" and he saw it under a sheet in a old widows garage,and it was her husbands and he only drove it a little in the summer months,and only put 10270 miles on it betwen 1964 and 1988... when I removed ghe oil pan there was a layer of silver silt,however a lot of this looked like aluminum and did not find any big pieces of metal.Since there are aluminum timing gear,I am assuming this is from that gear breaking in... The aluminum silt is not normal, the tank striping does not look original (too white and the wide is too wide), and what little info you have is anecdotal from the second owner. Ask the previous owner if he will give you the widow's info. Go back to the widow, show her how nicely you have fixed up her husbands old bike, and see if you can get more details on it.

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

Allen,I will have to agree on the tank,upon close examination,it looks like the tank was replaced with a NOS one and repainted(?).The inside has almost perfect "red primer" and NO rust,and it has the Everbest petcock still in perfect order with no leaks,the striping does look whiter and a little "sloppier" than the rest of the bike,so I will have to agree the tank has been re-done/replaced.The rest of the bike however has no signs of restoration,I recieved it with totally rusted out original "HAVA" mufflers and other than new tires it looks all original.
Being in the Vintage scooter hobby,you get a feel for what as been re-done and what is original.Sometimes you get fooled,but if you look at this bike it seems 96% original.
The "silt"was rather alarmng,however the engine mechanically is so quiet/tap free,you can hear the carbs "sucking air at idle and literally no tapping noise other than when it is ridden it seems the valves tap a little more than when cold,or could be the rocker arm free-play since the noise moved from the "left" to the "right" side after the valve adjustment,so I am assuming this is all top end related.Having built many autombile engines,after break in there is a LOT of metallic swarf in the oil after the initial first oil change even after it has been filtered,so it is not surprising since there is no filter for me to see this metal in the pan,assuming the pan has never been removed/this is original break-in residue.
It is really amazing to me to see this bike survive in this condition and am really looking forward to a long relationship......
Has anyone removed their pan here?I find it hard to believe there is no residue in there especially since there is no filter!
Thomas M.

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

Wanted to add;I have the complete original tool kit/rag in mint shape in the tank.I will post a pic of this as well,another indication IMO of its low mileage(?)
Thomas M.

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... it is not surprising since there is no filter for me to see this metal in the pan,assuming the pan has never been removed/this is original break-in residue... Has anyone removed their pan here?I find it hard to believe there is no residue in there especially since there is no filter!
Some black ferrous residue would be normal, but I don't know about silver aluminum residue. Normal aluminum wear material is apparently so light that it does not drop out of the oil into the pan, but is carried around until the oil slingers centrifuge it out of the oil. The only time I have seen silver color in the pan was on an engine where a mismatched timing gear was wearing and the particles were larger than sludge size.

These engines do have a filter of sorts - the oil slingers:

The Importance of Clean BMW Oil Slingers by Craig Vechorik.
http://www.benchmarkworks.com/

http://darryl.crafty-fox.com/motorcycles/slingers.htm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roundel/se ... 034453800/

The bike passed quickly through a second owner who only gave you an anecdotal history. You should go back to the widow of the first owner, if you can, to see what memories or even records she might have. How did he use the bike, where did he ride, who serviced the bike, is there a folder of receipts, why was the tank repainted, whatever you can find out.

One of my previous owners gave me no previous info on a 9,000-mile bike, and after tracing back through about 5 owners, I found a rich history and learned that it had 15,000 miles in 1985. Wear measurements and slinger contents showed it actually had about 30,000 miles.

Allan
http://home.insightbb.com/~aatherton/Sc ... oters.html