If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Barrington Manual

schrader7032

Barrington Manual

Post by schrader7032 »

I saw the current version at Vech's rally a week or so ago. The advance copies went to very specific people (3 or 4) in the vintage BMW world for their review and comment.

It's supposed to be mailed in the next 4-6 weeks. It looks very good with plenty of details.

I'm also looking forward to mine.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

R.D.Green

Barrington Manual

Post by R.D.Green »

The description for the Manual in the current Bulletin describes it as a "how to" manual for the "owner/restorer". Can't tell too much more than that from the blurb on the Barrington website, but the emphasis does seem to be on "restore". Does anyone have a feel for how much weight is given to maintenance and repair or is it aimed primarily at restoration?

schrader7032

Barrington Manual

Post by schrader7032 »

How does one define maintenance/repair versus restoration? In my mind, they're fairly similar.

I didn't look at the manual for a long time, just breezed through. My traveling companion was riding with the front brake shoes very near the rivets and there was some grooving going on (or had been going on) on his 60/2. I found a section in the manual on truing the drum. My friend decided to buy the manual at that point.

I'm sure the manual leads one through all of the various aspects of maintaining these bikes. I bet it has instructions on how to pull the crank for the slingers.

That said, there will be points where an expert is needed to ascertain the ramifications of some finding, etc. I'm no expert but this should move me further along in understanding my bike. I still have a phone and know where the experts are!

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.

tkb

I've read the Barrington manual from cover to cover.

Post by tkb »

Perhaps I can help here

I was one who received an advanced copy of the Barrington manual. I offered to review the manual when I pre-ordered the book. I have done some technical writing and recently edited an aviation book for a friend, and was prepared to scan the Barrington manual for the usual pre-publication typos. Also, guessing that other reviewers would be experienced vintage BMW professionals like Vech, I offered to review the book from the perspective of a novice owner seeking a guide to “refreshing” a recently acquired 1966 R69S, recovered from years in a storage bin. I was surprised and delighted to receive an advance reader copy of the manual with instructions to mark it up at will.

After spending two weeks with the Barrington manual, here are my impressions.

The book is a remarkable piece of work. It is a restoration manual whose authors have many years of experience restoring vintage BMW motorbikes. The scope of the book covers every aspect of restoration, addressing each sub-project with logically laid out step by step instructions. It’s a real “how to” manual with writing clear enough that those of us who are left scratching our heads by the Clymer manual are delighted and relieved to find clear, detailed instructions with good quality photographs. Also, the book offers a wealth of “insider” tips and tricks–everything from something as simple as using red tape to flag a item that needs further work at a later time, to how to temper the metal tabs that hold the main switch board in place in the top of the headlight bucket, should you be facing the daunting task of bending those accursed little tabs without breaking one off.

It’s one thing to be a master vintage BMW motorcycle mechanic/restorer, and another to have the writing talent to put that expertise down on paper in clearly understandable prose. The true power of the book is that Dr. Betjemann, a retired physician, and his wife Barbara have done this in spades. They are masters of clear writing and careful attention to detail. The Barrington manual is no “coffee table” restoration guide that is heavy on history, with lots of photographs of difference models, and little detail on how to best get your hands dirty attacking a restoration or repair project. This is a nitty-gritty book that details how best to get the job done, and avoid the potentially costly mistakes we all fear.

So, what if you not into a full-on restoration project—the book still has much to offer. There are excellent sections on history, how to thoroughly evaluate a potential purchase, where to find parts and supplies, and other such useful information. Best of all, extensive attention is given to repairing and maintaining your vintage BMW--tires, brakes, routine service and tune-ups, even winterization and dewinterization are covered. At the back of the book are a series of useful charts that address /2 specifications ranging from tire pressure to Bing carburetor parts.

In sum, I consider the Barrington manual to be BOTH a landmark restoration guide and an excellent repair and service manual. The book when published is going to be a first class product with quality printing and clear photographs.

Finally, I do not personally know the authors and have paid for my copy like everyone else. I have no obligation to the Betjemanns and have received no consideration from them. I just think the Barrington manual is something that we vintage BMW owners have sorely needed. For me and my R69S project, I consider the book to be a godsend.

I've not checked the Barrington Motor Works website lately, but believe that you can still order the book at the pre-publication price. Latest word is that the published edition is due out from the printer in May.

Tandy Bozeman
Lake Almanor, CA

R.D.Green

Barrington Manual

Post by R.D.Green »

Thanks, Tandy. Very insightful. Sounds like a must-have...

clinton7431

Barrington Manual

Post by clinton7431 »

I received my purchased copy last week.
I met the author at a Vintage Rally in NH a few weeks ago; he is straight forward and obsessive in a good way and certainly knows his stuff.
Definitely worth the $$. Just the list of suppliers is worth it.
"It’s called the American Dream cause you have to be asleep to believe it . . .”

jeff dean

Barrington Manual

Post by jeff dean »

I just got mine yesterday. It is absolutely fabulous! Worth every penny and more.

Order it here:

http://www.barringtonmotorworks.com/gal ... =14&gid=97

I love the Granada red slash-2 on the cover!

[h3]Jeff Dean
Friend of the Marque, Co-Founder VBMWMO (1972)
http://bmwdean.com --- http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm[/h3]

[img]http://bmwdean.com/r75-200.jpg[/img]

shampine

Barrington Manual

Post by shampine »

Great manual. Arrived June 30th and has been the only thing I have read since. Suggested to Chris that they consider a 3 ring binder version of it. Would be better for shop use than the bound book style.

ewatson

Barrington Manual

Post by ewatson »

Anyone know when this will be avaliable from Amazon? It is listed on the site for $66 as a pre order.

schrader7032

Barrington Manual

Post by schrader7032 »

I was not aware that it was going to be available any other way besides through Barrington.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.