If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Generator replaced by PowerDynamo:

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Michael -

It looks like this is just the 6v/12v generator upgrade? What about the ignition system upgrade as well? It says it replaces the points, but I don't see the ignition portion of it.

I haven't installed one on my bike, but I helped a friend install a complete system, including the new ignition system. It was an MzB package....I think it was the same company. His original problem was that we couldn't get his bike properly timed because of a worn out advance unit, bent camshaft tip, etc. He had such bad differential timing, that it was impossible to time correctly and it ran very rough.

The new MzB system uses a crank mounted pickup for timing, thus eliminating the issues with the camshaft. The ignition and advance is all computer controlled, so the old worn out advance unit was eliminated.

I helped him install it. He spent quite a bit of time reading the instructions ahead of time. Even then, there was a lot of confusion and questions for the manufacturers. They were very helpful and eventually things got resolved. But the directions had some gaps in it which I hope they review and resolve.

He likes the new system. The bike runs smoother and the lights are now more effective. The bike starts better. He installed things such that he could convert back if he had to. However, because of the problems with the camshaft, he'd have to change the camshaft out if he did that.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

boles7462

Mzb system

Post by boles7462 »

I have installed two of these, one in a r50/2 another in a R69s. These were the complete systems. You can buy just the charging system or the ignition system or both. The r50/2 worked great, all the old stock parts were worn, and with the new system the bike had good lights and started and ran much better. I had trouble with the r69s starting. Questions? do you want a 12 volt system for your lights and keep the ignition stock? Just for the lights and 12 volts have you looked at the 12 volt Slap-on system at Benchmark Works. Its easy to put on and works well. Jim
Jim

Micha

Post by Micha »

The problem is that I have a new electronic regulator fitted, and it is a 6 volt unit, of course. It does not matter to me if the bike will be a 12 volt machine or a 6 volt, as long as every thing runs ok. The ignition is out of the question because it was overhauled already and it is ok, but the generator replacement I need is a 6 volt version, because of the electronic regulator I have there. The question is if there are any 6 volt items out there? Does the new replacement contain a regulator already inside?
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

The problem is that I have a new electronic regulator fitted, and it is a 6 volt unit,... It does not matter to me if the bike will be a 12 volt machine or a 6 volt, as long as every thing runs ok.... but the generator replacement I need is a 6 volt version, because of the electronic regulator I have there. The question is if there are any 6 volt items out there? Does the new replacement contain a regulator already inside?

I don't know if there are aftermarket 6V generators for /3 out there.
Bench Mark Works 12V "slap on" alternator conversion includes its own regulator and fits your bike. It was very easy to install on my bike, and worked perfectly. I did have to change the bulbs and battery, but Bench Mark Works had those items, too.

Micha

Post by Micha »

Are there 12 volts bulbs that will fit into the original holders?
I also mean the charging indicator and the neutral indicator that are fitted under a set of lenses on the headlamp shell, not to mention the road lamps. Or should they go through a change?
Oh, there's also a tinny lamp that is lightning the speedo.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

Are there 12 volts bulbs that will fit into the original holders?
I also mean the charging indicator and the neutral indicator that are fitted under a set of lenses on the headlamp shell, not to mention the road lamps. Or should they go through a change?
Oh, there's also a tinny lamp that is lightning the speedo.

Yes Bench Mark Works has all the 12V bulbs. Go to http://benchmarkworks.com/, then to FAQ - Tech Advice, then Technical and How To Articles, then Installation Instructions 6 to 12-volt "Slap-on" Alternator Conversion Kit. All the parts and bulbs are listed.

Micha

Post by Micha »

Thanks Allan.
I can see that Bench Mark Works has also a solution or a conversion kit for the generator system. I understand that the system from PowerDynamo has an advantage over Bench Mark Works system, as it can run without a battery, while Bench Mark Works system can be destroyed/damaged if running without one.
What is your opinion? Which system is better for an R51/3?
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

I would like to hear from any one who switched to those new replacements. Is it recommended? Are you satisfied? Overhauling the original one is very (very) expensive. Here's the link:
http://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems/ ... 04main.htm
Please your opinion and thoughts.
Thank you.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.