If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Exhaust leak

Allan.Atherton

Exhaust leak

Post by Allan.Atherton »

What pipes and mufflers are you using? The stock mufflers and pipes fit tightly together. The muffler inlets are unslit and don't use clamps.

If your inlets are slit, they should have clamps. If clamps don't seal, then you could use try anti-seize paste, which gets gummy. As a last resort, try muffler paste, but it gets hard and might make the mufflers hard to remove.

Darryl.Richman

Exhaust leak

Post by Darryl.Richman »

If the gap is not large, I've used high temp RTV to seal the joints. I've put a thick bead around the inside of the muffler, assembled, and cleaned up the mess with acetone.
--Darryl Richman

saintclair2703

Exhaust leak

Post by saintclair2703 »

Stock equipement. In the interests of long-term down the road thinking re ease of removal, I think I'll try the Anti-Sieze first. Really lay it on.
Good idea- thanks.
I deserve a paper plate as strong as I am!

jrapose

Exhaust leak

Post by jrapose »

I never noticed mine leaking but I am working on a bike that sure shows exhaust leaks have been there....big black streaks.... think I might try using some JB Weld.... on the muffler side....and coat the pipe with paste silicone...then put it back together to cure.... the silicone paste will prevent the JB Weld from sealing against the exhaust pipe...so it will be able to be removed at a later time...yet the JB Weld will make a permant seal and take up the clearance issure...

Joel Rapose MZ-B Guy
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

VBMWMO

Exhaust leak

Post by VBMWMO »

When I ride down long hills, it sounds like a chili eating contest in the middle of a war zone. The space between my muffler and pipe could trap decent-sized animals. Whadya think- sand bags? Cinder blocks and cement? Stuff newspaper in there? Only ride at night in densely populated neighborhoods?
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.