If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Lube up grade for R5 transmission

Micha

Post by Micha »

Can you put on a drawing from a technical sheet, maybe? Mark with an arrow the part? I just can not understand what you mean :roll: .
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

bmwmyplace

Post by bmwmyplace »

Hi thanks for your interest but I don't have the required technology to do that....I have discovered that the part seems to only appear in the last of the 51/3 series…. Possibly the R67 also… I have written to Mark Huggett he might know cheers Peter

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Hi all I am this week overhauling an R5 gearbox ..this includes machining out felt retainers to accept oil seals...etc...

I notice in the later R51/3 gearboxes, that there is an aid to lubricating the output shaft. In that there is a piece of sheet metal in a "L" shape situated above the output shaft, which seems to encourage oil to go into the "well"

This well, which is located in the top of the small cover and is located at the clutch end and held in place with 4 screws and has a hollow spiggot cast into it which in turn locates inside hollow shaft and supplies the oil

Dose anyone have a part number for this item I have checked all my references and that of John Lacko but no luck.

I would ask for any input as to its effectivness like were the earlier boxes prone to failure due to lack of lubrication

One other thing I am in need of a cover for the shifter mechanism and a few small parts ...can any one help

Kind Regards Peter Gibbs
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.