If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Pros and cons of stainless steel nut and bolt kits?

miller6997

I don't follow restorations

Post by miller6997 »

I don't follow restorations very closely, but I thought I read over on slash2 that stainless fasteners are allowed now. Is that not the case, or does it vary from venue to venue?
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

808Airhead

I used SS on mine from Tom

Post by 808Airhead »

I used SS on mine from Tom the boltguy,it was a great kit to use. Mine however is a "rider" and not a museum/investment restoration,plus a lot of ocean air where I ride,so I chose to use it. I can see where a "correct" resto builder would go through the trouble,since there are many "unusual"/"older style" threads & bolt head/nut size found throughout the Bimmer bikes
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

Jim D 5112

stainless hardware

Post by Jim D 5112 »

If you are being judged by AMCA standards I think that you would lose points for incorrect hardware. The other big problem is that the stainless is just not up to the same standards that your original hardware had and may break under a load, as in hard brakeing. I had a friend with sub standard bolts holding his handlebar risers on, after a very hi speed blast down the 4 lane one night he took a quick exit, when he pulled out from the stop sign he was holding on to the bars but both riser bolts had broken as he started to make the turn and he fell over. Less than a minute before he was flirting with 100 mph. This was before we checked on things like bolt grades. I have a small book from a hardware manf. that explains a lot about materials and loads that they will take and stainless has it place but it is not a replacement for a grade 5 or 8 bolt. I have been in metal fabrication for 45 years and use a lot of stainless and have a lot in my own drawers but do not use it for a correct restoration or replacement for a high grade bolt. The original hardware is getting hard to find and some people are reproducing it with the correct head markings in the right grade for some antique motorcycles. You can use a glassbeader to clean up your old bolts and there is still some places doing cad plating. Thanks Jim

oldchrome.atl

All good advice- what about the axles?

Post by oldchrome.atl »

Thanks everyone. Great insight and advice. I think I will go with the original if they can be found.
What are your thoughts about the stainless steel axles. I'm a bit leery of the ebay axles that my life will depend on but Max BMW imports new front and rear axles. Pricey but a better (or safer bet) quality. The old stock axles available are pitted and rusted.
Thoughts?