If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1959 R60 questions

Darryl.Richman

1959 R60 questions

Post by Darryl.Richman »

The standard "coffee can" tail light and the matching rear fender piece are appropriate for your bike, I think.

And, as it is your bike, you ought to consider what you want out of it, rather than what is "kosher" or "correct". If what you want is "correct", then of course you'll paint the frame.

My /2 and /3 both have powder coated frames because I ride them a lot and I think the powder coating will protect them more than paint will.

Good luck with it! We all understand how much work is involved.
--Darryl Richman

blaktopbalay

R60 rebuild

Post by blaktopbalay »

Thanks Darryl, that was my feeling too. As I will be rebuilding the engine, I have been toying with the idea of getting a little more performance. Is it true that the only difference between the the R60 and R69 motor is the heads and cam? The bike came with a very early Bingham MKI sidecar, like serial number 11. I got it off a wild man who suggested that the sidecar may have come from someone associated with Knieval. I think I'm more partial to a Steib, but I guess the old MKI has some historical significance.

Darryl.Richman

1959 R60 questions

Post by Darryl.Richman »

The cylinders, pistons and rear main bearing are different as well. Not sure about the pushrods and valves, but maybe.
--Darryl Richman

oligee7275

1959 R60 questions

Post by oligee7275 »

I have a 1959 R 60 also if you need pics of any thing.
As Darryl says, the rear fender is the same from 1955-1969 using the "coffee can" tail light. They all have the wiring tunnel as well.
Other differences in the R69S engine are the valves and cam.
Higher lift and longer duration cam. The valves had larger diameter stems and valve heads which means that the cylinder heads are different as well. (although they will bolt right on an R60)
Obviously the carburetors are different too.
The pushrods are the same as the R60.
I agree with Darryl as to making it your own. Do what maks you happy.
Actually, I think the powder coating looks much like the original finish.
As always, we want pictures!!!! :D
I'd like to see the Bingham.
Dean

blaktopbalay

1959 R60 questions

Post by blaktopbalay »

I have a 1959 R 60 also if you need pics of any thing.
-Thanks Dean!

Der manual states that the bore and stroke is the same for both engines (72mm and 73mm respectively,) I see that the piston skirt clearances are different, but aside from that was wondering why you include different cylinders as a part of the swap Darryl. For sure I would change to the R69 heads and pistons, since I am assuming the pistons are different to accomodate the higher lift cam.
I will get some pics up soon, my work area is small and crowded at the moment. BTW, do you have any overall pics of your 1959 R60 handy?8)

oligee7275

1959 R60 questions

Post by oligee7275 »

Hi,
Some pics that I have.
I took it down to go through it mechanically but left it alone cosmetically.
Some folks want the perfect look while I prefer the original patina.
The paint and what's left of the pinstripping you see is original.
The exhaust is new and I replaced the original bench seat with the single and bread loaf setup just because I like them. Everything else is original.

With the Avonaire and Craven luggage

Dean

Darryl.Richman

1959 R60 questions

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Der manual states that the bore and stroke is the same for both engines (72mm and 73mm respectively,) I see that the piston skirt clearances are different, but aside from that was wondering why you include different cylinders as a part of the swap Darryl. For sure I would change to the R69 heads and pistons, since I am assuming the pistons are different to accomodate the higher lift cam.
The cylinders are different in at least two ways. The fins on the R60 cylinders have a pointed profile on the leading and trailing points around the diameter, which is unique to this and the preceding R67 models; all the other bikes have round profile fining.

More importantly, the R68, R69, R50S and R69S heads all mount with 6 bolts instead of four on the R51/3, R67s, R50 and R60 models.
--Darryl Richman

blaktopbalay

1959 R60 questions

Post by blaktopbalay »

Very respectable Dean,
I am tempted to use one of your pictures as my screensaver for inspirational purposes.
I very much like the lines of the luggage rack, who is the maker on that?
Two thumbs up over here for the windscreen and luggage, very much in keeping with the dignified character of the machine. I like the looks of the Avonaire. After reveiwing other threads I see that you recently added that. Are you happy with it?
[T]he R68, R69, R50S and R69S heads all mount with 6 bolts instead of four on the R51/3, R67s, R50 and R60 models
-That certainly is important, and would obviously necessitate different cylinders! Also, I do find that I prefer the lines of the R60 fins. Thanks again Darryl.

I will really have to give the rebuild some thought. Dean, I assume that your R60 engine is stock. Do you find the power and response satisfying, or, if you were about to rebuild, would you chose to modify?
Thanks again gentlemen,
Marc

jeff dean

1959 R60 questions

Post by jeff dean »

The luggage rack on Dean's bike is a Craven W rack.

http://motos.home.att.net/craven.htm

I encourage you to restore the bike, not try to boost the engine. But that is your choice. It's a lot of fun to ride the R60. If you want more power, I suggest you snare an R69S.

The original air cleaner was not chromed. Is was gray paint.

[h3]Jeff Dean
Friend of the Marque, Co-Founder VBMWMO (1972)
http://bmwdean.com --- http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm[/h3]

[img]http://bmwdean.com/r75-200.jpg[/img]

oligee7275

1959 R60 questions

Post by oligee7275 »

Hi Mark,
As Jeff indicated the rack is a Craven "W" rack. Can be used alone or with the luggage which mounts to it.
My engine is stock and as Jeff says the bike is quite fun to ride. No, it's not a rocket, but it will get the job done. Smooth, quiet, and will cruise at 70 all day long. I too would encourage you to restore it as is, but, it is your bike. If I were to rebuild (which I did) a would not modify it for performance.
I think it was Allan Atherton a while back that had a fairing on one of his and he took it off because he didn't care for the extra noise that could be heard from the engine. I like the look and the engine noise doesn't bother me.
Jeff is correct ( Jeff knows more about these than I ever will). My air cleaner is probably from a later post 1962 R60/2. The previous owner was a good friend of mine that sold me the bike before he passed on. I know he didn't chrome it so I don't know the history on the air cleaner. It should look like the one in Jeff's photo.
FWIW there is an Avonaire fairing on E-Bay right now with all of the brackets and it's at $425 with a day or so to go. Might be a good buy.
Dean