If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Pictorial of R60 project downunder

1967 R50-2

Post by 1967 R50-2 »

Vonkas-

Very interesting work. Can you give some more details about the "Generator"?

What parts were used? What did you have to do to adapt it? What is the wattage output? This seems like an apt adaptation for a race bike where you want to minimize rotating mass.

Also...if your oil filter adapter continues to work, maybe you should consider production. Great idea.
1967 R50/2

EuroIron

Post by EuroIron »

I can tell you that a ducati 370-400ish watt permanent magnet alternator from

a 900SS and a few other modern Ducatis can easily be shoehorned/adapted into place and provide all the juice you'll ever need

the earlier ones are about 150 watts and have all the same dimensions except they are much thinner

they came out of the square case and bevel engines

the new ones I am talking about have the magnet rotor captured by the stator

some of the other models have the magnetic rotor external to the stator

1967 R50-2

Post by 1967 R50-2 »

Don't really need 300 watts, But if the Ducati alternator is smaller/lighter than the stock set-up that might be OK.

I am curious as to what the smallest size alternator/generator in terms of weight which can be used and still run all the electrics...including an electronic ignition. It can even be 6V.

Most of the current aftermarket stuff, understandably gives a bump in Wattage (and weight) over the stock set-up. But I don't think anyone has looked at substitutes from other bikes for a lightweight alternative.
1967 R50/2

EuroIron

Post by EuroIron »

the 150 watt duc alternator is very small and light

you can regulate to any voltage you want but 12V is far more effective than 6V

fwiw... I've putzed about with several many alternative charging options for and of many different bikes

EuroIron

Post by EuroIron »

no need to wonder, measure what you have at full song

Don't really need 300 watts, But if the Ducati alternator is smaller/lighter than the stock set-up that might be OK.

I am curious as to what the smallest size alternator/generator in terms of weight which can be used and still run all the electrics...including an electronic ignition. It can even be 6V.

Most of the current aftermarket stuff, understandably gives a bump in Wattage (and weight) over the stock set-up. But I don't think anyone has looked at substitutes from other bikes for a lightweight alternative.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.