If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R69 Top End Rebuilt

schrader7032

R69 Top End Rebuilt

Post by schrader7032 »

That's about all I would consider doing, plus change the oil. Maybe checking timing as the points may have settled in a bit. The mechanic may have wanted to do a compression or leakdown test just to be sure everything settled in, but I wouldn't think that's necessary unless you were noticing the performance was off somewhat.

Is this the first retorque/valve adjust since the topend work? I've been told that the first retorque/adjust should happen after the first few heat cycles, followed up by another around 500 miles...maybe one more at 1000 miles. Things should be stable by that point.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

VBMWMO

R69 Top End Rebuilt

Post by VBMWMO »

The engine of my R69 got new pistons, heads re-done, etc. about 400 miles ago. The mechanic who did the work asked me to bring it back after 800 kilometers so he could do re-adjustments. Now I've moved and it would be a little difficult to get it back to the shop so I figured maybe I can just do it myself.

At 800 km (500 miles) is there anything else that should be done besides re-torquing the headbolts and adjusting the valves?
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.