If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Klaxon Horn Problems on R 69S

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

Horns can be fixed up. Taken apart, cleaned, put WD-40 where appropriate, repaint the case, adjust the vibration for loudest tone.

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

If it sounds at all, chances are Allan is right and it can be made to work perfectly with some cleaning and/or adjustment.

Before you take the horn apart, mark how the diaphram (in front, under the grill) aligns with the horn body. You'll want to get this same alignment when you put it back together again.

Inside the horn is an electromagnet and a set of points. The points may need some cleaning or the surface refreshed with a points file.

You'll also see that there is a hexhead screw on the back of the horn. Inside, you'll see that this adjusts the "throw" of the horn's diaphram. When you reassemble the horn, this screw controls how loud the horn is. Within about 1 turn, the horn will go from not sounding to its loudest point back to not sounding. You'll probably find it most convenient to adjust it on your workbench with the bike's battery and a set of wires.
--Darryl Richman

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Try hooking the horn up directly to the 6v battery. I did that with my horn when I first got the bike because it didn't work so well when installed. Scared the crap out of me! Turns out my problem was more in the switch on the handle bar. I've improved the grounding at the switch somewhat, so the horn sounds a little better.

The switch is what completes the circuit for the horn. This is not the best way to complete a circuit...switching the power side would really be better. Once you press the button (in my case), the ground path is the handlebars, through the steering stem bearings, then to the frame and ultimately back to the battery. That's a pretty circuitous route. Be sure the ground at the switch is as good as it can be.

I also did take the horn apart and cleaned the contacts which helped, too. The horn consists of a wire coil surrounding a piece of steel. When power is applied to the coil, the steel becomes a magnet, which in turns pulls on a lever which breaks the power to the coil. This cycle repeats over and over which causes the sound. There's a screw on the back of the horn which adjusts the gap between the steel and the lever.

There's a little information here on the horn:

http://www.snafu.org/restore/1998-11/

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

wicks

horn

Post by wicks »

wow, i am going to try to fix up my original horn then as well. i wasn't very satisfied when i bought a new one and this skimpy little thing came in the box and didn't even say KLAXON. especially when you're a Klaxons fan. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaxons
Wicks
1962 R69S, 2006 M5, 2000 Aprilia RSV Mille R, 1997 Defender 90, 2007 Benelli M4 ;)

wicks

done

Post by wicks »

wow, it is kinda a surprise when it beeps for the first time. brushed off all contacts with brass wheel on a dremel. no hard work. ;)

thanks much for this posting - glad to have the original klaxon sounding off again.
Wicks
1962 R69S, 2006 M5, 2000 Aprilia RSV Mille R, 1997 Defender 90, 2007 Benelli M4 ;)

haole11

Thanks for the Tips...

Post by haole11 »

I had the same issue with my horn. I ordered a new one and I was very disappointed when I opened the box. Its small and just doesn't look correct. So I worked on my old horn and with some cleaning, its working again.

wicks

Post by wicks »

haole, your bike loosk really great. what is that bar behind the rear seat? do you have more photos somewhere?
Wicks

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

There was some discussion of a similar bar in this thread:

http://vintagebmw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=537&

One thought was that it was useful for pulling a bike with sidecar from the rear.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Any one help me out... The horn( Klaxon) on my R 69 S is very weak sounding just a weak sound....Can it be salvaged? Whats the drill? Thanks

Pat
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.