If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Would like to hear about methods of protecting the bike agai

Allan.Atherton

Re: Would like to hear about methods of protecting the bike

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... my bike is standing outside on the sidewalk... ... Can I buy or build a detecting device that will send me a signal... Maybe other ideas? ...
On my R50/5 I used a mercury tilt switch mounted under the seat, connected to an on-off switch and the horn. It may have been made for bikes, as it was in a black plastic case with a mounting tab with a bolt hole in it.
If the bike was bumped, the mercury would slosh from one end of its capsule to the other, completing a circuit, and the horn would give a few beeps. If the bike was moved, the constant sloshing of the mercury would keep the horn beeping. If you did not understand the system or know where the switch was, you would not stick around to figure it out.
Radio Shack might have such a switch, or look with Google.

Peter

Post by Peter »

Howdy Michael, i'm not being cheeky here but a R51/3 parked on the sidewalk is not going to last long no matter what security is fitted. Best bet is to talk to the building managers and see if there is some small corner that the bike will fit into, I have a small garage and a large car and live in an apartment, there is just enough room behind the car to park the bike, takes a bit to get the bike parked tight against the wall but it can be done.

Rgds Peter
R42, R12, R51/3, R69S

Micha

Post by Micha »

Hi Peter. Well, I'm located in Israel and until now, the bike is still there (at least 20 minutes ago, when I last time looked from the window…). The problem is that the building manager is not a nice person and does not agree to any idea, although there's plenty of room and the machine will not disturb any one.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Allan.Atherton

Re: Would like to hear about methods of protecting the bike

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... Can I buy or build a detecting device that will send me a signal of the bike's position, let's say via GPS & mobile phone, for example?... It is not cheap, but the Lojack system does what you want.
http://www.lojack.com/motorcycle/pages/ ... overy.aspx

This page says "LoJack is operational in more than 30 countries throughout North America, South America, Europe, Africa and Asia."
http://international.lojack.com/en-us/p ... ional.aspx
But on the world map, there is no dot on Israel. That would mean that Lojack is not tied into a tracking tower network and police system there.

And, the Lojack draws its power from the bike's battery. Someone I know with a vintage BMW looked into a Lojack, and if I remember correctly, it needs a 12V battery. But you could ask LoJack.

saintclair2703

Post by saintclair2703 »

When I have lived with similar circumstances, I talked with other managers of nearby buildings. For some time I parked in a private garage, for several years, under the stars of a nearby motoel. I paid some money to the manager- I little extra spending money (bribe) for him. :lol: Hey- whatever it takes! I've had 2 vintage bikes stolen and it's no fun. I recomend a cover, too.
I deserve a paper plate as strong as I am!

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

Hello again. Unfortunately, my bike is standing outside on the sidewalk, as there is no extra parking lot under my building. Beside of covering it, what do you suggest to do for protection? What kind of locks, how to lock it and more interesting: Can I buy or build a detecting device that will send me a signal of the bike's position, let's say via GPS & mobile phone, for example? Any one done this before? Maybe other ideas? Thanks a lot in advance. Micha.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.