If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Headlight mirrors

R50Bill

Headlight mirrors

Post by R50Bill »

I found something really interesting on www.boxerworks.com , the site is very old skool, search 'Mirrors'.

"How about these headlight mirrors at the link? I have them on all my bikes. You may not like them since they cost $12.90 (per pair) instead of $150+. There is a trick to using them though. A trick I will share for a nominal fee~ http://triumphchoppers.com/gallery/scott/ace

They are EMGO brand mirrors and are universal (L/R). Ensure you get the 8mm and not the more popular 10mm shaft. The trick: You have to straighten the angle/bend above the threads. Remember they are for handlebars. You want it as close to straight as you can get. The straighter you get it the less of your hip/arm you will see and the more view of what is directly behind you. I place wood in my vise and after about 20 attempts everything comes out nice without any damage to the chrome.
Scott"

R50Bill

Headlight mirrors

Post by R50Bill »

R50Bill

Headlight mirrors

Post by R50Bill »

I didn't see a 'left/right' option, here's their response:

"Bill,

My understanding is that the mirror will work on either right or left side. Apparently the mirror pivots on the stalk, which makes it ambidextrous.

Regards,

Scott A. Russell
Mobile: 541.915.0772
Email: sar@bmwor.com"

VBMWMO

Headlight mirrors

Post by VBMWMO »

I was so excited last night to get my new repo headlight mirrors from Blue Moon that I hat to run right out to the shop and put them on. ( here in south Fl it's always riding season) The old clamp on mirror (vintage '66 I think was really starting to show it's age. After the 5 minutes it took to put on the mirrors, I hopped in the saddle and looking in the mirrors, got a great view of my knuckles??
What the heck?? Is this the way these mirrors operate? I didn't expect to see much, but a little more please? My controls and hands are in my direct line of sight of the mirrors. I didn't play with them too much, but did get out the 'ol magnifying glass and some issues of the vintage mag to see what I could see. Seems mine are on correct. I have euro low bars with the risers in the rear holes on the triple clamp facing forward. This puts my bars in front of the damper nut. In the past I've tried other mounting options with the bars/risers, but his way seems to be the only way that works without hitting the 6 gal tank.
Are these mirrors made ONLY to look super cool and be totaly useless? I don't really mind, at least they look cool, but a LITTLE rear vision would be great. I find it hard to believe these were so popular yet offered so little (read none) vision to the rear.
Thanks
Jer
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.