If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

advance is stuck ? How to get it off

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Ooo, the word 'pry' gives me bad feelings in this area. I would spray the area repeatedly with Aerokroil or some other penetrating lubricant, over several days before trying any brute force on it.

I think I'd put the bolt back in most of the way and then use a small puller that I was certain was hooked to the metal end ring of the cam, and I still wouldn't use a lot of force. You might heat it up also, but I'd remove the mag coil before doing that.

If you bend the centrifugal weight area, the end of the magneto rotor, or mushroom either, I think you'll be really unhappy.
--Darryl Richman

Allan.Atherton

Re: advance is stuck ? How to get it off

Post by Allan.Atherton »

1969 BMW R60US - The cintrfical advance unit won't come off the shaft (bolt is out) due to possible rust. What can I pry on to help get it off?
The advance slips on rather loosely, so I wonder how enough rust could form to prevent removal. Probably the bolt was overtightened and mashed the nose of the camshaft out, which locked the advance unit on the shaft. I had a bike like that once, where the PO must have over tightened the unit. I pulled on the unit with my fingers, and the fly weights came off, which stretched out the little springs and ruined them. Eventually I pried the advance's body off the camshaft, and used a file to remove the flared end of the camshaft. I either bought new springs or a new advance.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

1969 BMW R60US - The cintrfical advance unit won't come off the shaft (bolt is out) due to possible rust. What can I pry on to help get it off?
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.