If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Pictures of an Original 1967 R60 or an Amazing Restoration?

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... I would believe that your bike has 23 miles on it.... The thing that convinces me is the bosch stamp number on top of the paint. Anyone restoring it would have painted the whole shell....

Maybe not...

Buckets (headlight shells) are not always re-painted on the inside. The paint inside the bucket is often not rusty or in need of painting. And it is some trouble to paint inside the bucket. The terminal board has to be removed, which requires a risky bending cycle for the metal tabs holding it. If one breaks, there is no good way of holding the terminal. Sometimes the bucket is just painted on the outside, with the terminal board inside, and the dimmer harness and swtich taped to protect them.

Haole11 said in the first post: "When I opened the headlamp bucket, it struck me that bosch serial number was clearly visibile... If this bike was repainted, wouldn't the serial number have been painted over?"
I wonder whether this Bosch number was on the sheet metal bucket, or because I don't think that is a Bosch part. Anything with a Bosch part number is not likely to be painted. Is there some other number paint-stamped on the paint inside the bucket? I don't remember. Perhaps the number was on the reflector or some other part.

tuma3133

Post by tuma3133 »

http://motos.home.att.net/numbers.htm

updated 7/1/21 by schrader7032: https://bmwdean.com/numbers.htm

Jeff Dean has posted a comment I made some time ago on the web.
Simply said if your neck frame numbers are painted over it has been re-painted as the factory painted and then stamped the serial number.
Original frame will have (by now) rusted stamped numbers. Even my original 7000 mile bike has rusted numbers and it has been stored by me for 27 years or so, in a climate controlled room.
John
Ps, It is still a very nice machine!

haole11

Post by haole11 »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments. The bike gives me conflicting signals. Serial number on headlight bucket, throttle clip, general condition tells me its gotta be original. Then the pinstriping is perfect, the wiring looks like its been redone makes me think, heck its been restored.

The bosch serial number is clearly visible on on the inside of the headlight bucket which is painted on:

Check it out:

http://picasaweb.google.com/phil.mcname ... 9648504226

Bottom line is if I tried to pass this off as only having 23 miles, I would need a lot of documents proving it to be true and I don't have them. What I can say is I am a very happy owner of a very cool bike of my dreams that looks like it just came off the assembly line.

By the way here are pictures of the lastest tweaks:

http://picasaweb.google.com/phil.mcname ... reAndAfter

In November(long story here so I will spare you the details), I will have an opportunity to uncover more details of the bike from the family of the original owner (Minnesota family). I haven't ridden this bike much for in the back of my mind I think to myself, maybe it was stored for all these years.

Cheers!

Phil

Bruce Frey

Post by Bruce Frey »

Very Sweet! The seat and accessories improve the aesthetics by 100+%. If I were to nit pick, I would loose the in line filters, get some cloth braid fuel line and paint it silver....use ferrule caps on the fuel line instead of clamps. In any case, your bike should please you, not me, and it DOES look great

To my eye, a /2 with a big seat is, well, really ugly and with a small tank.....ugh......but what do I know. For me the prewar R5 and R6 are the most aesthetically pleasing BMW of all time.

Enjoy your bike!

Bruce

Allan.Atherton

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... The bike gives me conflicting signals. Serial number on headlight bucket... The bosch serial number is clearly visible on on the inside of the headlight bucket which is painted on...
That is has nothing to do with the question. Your photo shows a pristine factory coat of paint inside the bucket with a Bosch part number (Bosch would not put serial numbers on parts). Why do you think a restorer would go through the trouble and risk of removing the terminal board, to paint over this bucket's valuable orginal interior? No, he would leave it intact.

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

In Reference to a previous post about is this bike.

http://vintagebmw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2152#2152

Has this bike been restored or is it in original condition? The saga continues. See below:

I just received this bike this weekend and inspected it. As I put on the bumm mirrors and started to put on the bar end signals, I stopped in my tracks. When I opened the headlamp bucket, it struck me that bosch serial number was clearly visibile and the wiring appeared to be untouched. If this bike was repainted, wouldn't the serial number have been painted over? Other clues like the bolts appear to be untouched by a wrench etc which makes me think it could be original. The second owner thinks it was restored, but there is no documentation behind that claim.

After I opened the headlamp bucket, I immediately called Charlie Johnson (a well know Vintage BMW mechanic/restoration shop) in Minnesota about the bike. He worked on it two years ago and got his phone number of an old receipt. I had spoken to him before but I wanted more information from him. Charlie remembered the bike and said it has not been restored and is a survivor because all the clips and bolts are original and he could just tell it was untouched. So what is the real story behind this amazing machine? Is this a top grade restoration or could it really be true that the original owner bought it and stashed it in his garage without riding or restoring it for 38 years be true?

I think the only way to determine its originality is to work with someone who knows these bikes and can inspect it. So here is my challenge to those who know these bikes. Is there something you notice in the pictures that gives you some hints.

I took a bunch of pictures of the bike and posted them here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/phil.mcnamee/67R60

I welcome any input on this subject. I am certainly not an expert in this area.

Here is a link to 45MB worth of high resolution photos. Only download them if you really want them. I have a limit on number of downloads:

http://www2.ibackup.com/qmanager/servle ... qiwqf11366

Thanks!

Phil
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.