If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Astounding prices these days

comet

Post by comet »

I am in agreement with all that has been said on this subject but in my opinion I feel people are finally realizing just how good a motorcycle the early BMWs are. Collectors have been spending 20 and 30 thousand dollars on Harleys and Indians for several years now. I have owned them all and I can honestly say the BMWs at 10 and 15 thousand are a better deal..............Comet (yes I have one of those as well as a rapide and the BMW is a far better machine)

jeff dean

Post by jeff dean »

I guess I am one of the guys helping to cause problems.

I paid top dollar for a concours R60/2 restoration (photo below) by Tim Safford. I was glad to do it because (a) it helps a true artisan make a living, and (b) I love the R60/2 motorcycle. Also, of course, I could afford it. I have been riding this bike and it gives me enormous pleasure.

I also have black and Dover white original and unrestored R60/2s that I consider "riders." And fabulous riders they are.

Indeed, while I own a 2007 R1200RT that I use for trips and when I have to carry stuff, I much prefer to ride an R60/2. Perhaps when I get older and feebler the latter may be all I will be able to ride.

Tim is now restoring a 1954 R51/3 for me that I bought for $3,000. It will probably wind up costing me more than the red R60/2 when all is said and done. It might even cost as much as a 2007 R1200RT, but there won't be any depreciation.

I see paintings, coins, and stamps going for what I would consider insane amounts -- numbers that make old BMW motorcycles look cheap. It depends on your perspective.

Now I have managed to acquire an R68 that may or may not need attention by Tim or by Vech. I don't want it to be concours, as I would like to ride it.

I am all thumbs. I cannot do the kind of work Tim does even if it is not rocket science. I am just glad I can set the valves and change oil in the engine, tranny, shaft, and rear drive.

Someone above noted that old Indians and Harleys cost a lot more than BMWs. From what I have observed at the Vegas auction, that is very true. In comparison, BMW motorcycles have been way undervalued because comparable demand is not there. I think they are just starting to catch up. I have no interest whatever in old Harleys and Indians, only in BMWs from the 1950s and 1960s. Consider, too, that an admittedly very rare Crocker sold at Vegas for $230,000. So what is an R32 worth? (Not for me. I have learned to stay away from prewar BMWs.) Would $100,000 for a perfect R32 be out of the question?

[h3]Jeff Dean
Friend of the Marque, Co-Founder VBMWMO (1972)
http://bmwdean.com --- http://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm[/h3]

[img]http://bmwdean.com/r75-200.jpg[/img]

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

I've been noticing that /2 prices everywhere are suddenly going through the roof- especially the last year. I was wondering if anyone has any theories about why...
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.