If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Gear Oil Leakage problem R69

comet

Post by comet »

If you are refering to the small retainer screw that holds the end of the spedometer cable to the transmission, a very small amount of oil may seep out as this screw has a hole in it to allow the transmission to breathe. I have never seen one that dripped enough to cause concern, perhaps there is excess oil in the transmission. I have seen that hole tapped for a metal tube and a small hose attached to direct oil down and awat from the bike..........Comet

mark smith

leak

Post by mark smith »

Yes it is leaking at the retainer screw.It leaks way too much,its getting oil all over the rear wheel and pipe,I changed the gear oil last fall,putting in the correct amount,still leaks.I hate to just bring it to BMW without some idea,but I need to get this thing fixed so I can ride it soon.......
1960 R69
2008 R1200RT
So.Oregon

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Check the oil level again. If it is higher than before, the seal at the transmission output shaft may be bad, and oil may be getting transferred from the driveshaft. Also, be sure the hole in the retainer bolt is clean and clear all the way through; it can create higher pressure inside the transmission if not.
--Darryl Richman

Bruce Frey

Post by Bruce Frey »

If you put in the specified volume, you may have overfilled it. I think the spec'd volume refers to a rebuild situation. I can never get the spec'd amount of fluid in my transmissions (they are not /2, however) when I just drain and refill.

Bruce

comet

Post by comet »

What viscosity oil did you use? I like 80/90 weight, gear oil and never fill right up to the top. An inch below the top will not hurt anything and may cure your problem. I also add a little STP, seems to help shifting.

mark smith

'60 R69

Post by mark smith »

well,this is encouraging information! When the sun comes out (maybe today?) I will get the R69 out of winter storage (in the house) drain and refill the trans,take her for the first ride of '07 and see what happens.
thanks everyone.
1960 R69
2008 R1200RT
So.Oregon

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

What kind of oil are you using? IIRC, the later model /2s (1967 on?) should use a hypoid gear oil, whereas the earlier bikes were all meant to have a grade of engine oil. After some point, the transmission seals were changed to be compatible with gear oil. Not sure if that makes a difference. I know your problem is leaking out of the breathing hole on the retainer bolt...leaking seals would be a whole 'nuther problem!!

But I tend to agree that if you filled it correctly and it still leaks, then somehow oil is transferring forward from the shaft area.

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

mark smith

R69

Post by mark smith »

ok,
I got the R69 out of the house,charged the battery,put in some gas,It fired right up.The Trans was too full,I drained enough so it was about an inch down.I removed the rear hub filler plug and gear oil ran out.I guess this is overfilled also.Where should the level be on this rear drive/hub filler ?
1960 R69
2008 R1200RT
So.Oregon

comet

Post by comet »

The rear drive should be filled no higher than the lower thdeads of the filler plug. If oil ran out when you removed it, the front seal is bad and oil from the drive shaft is getting into the rear drive.

mark smith

R69

Post by mark smith »

I left the rear plug off and it left a puddle,It just keeps coming out,so I guess I need a front seal.How big of job is this ? any special tools required?.I just joined the club,so I will try to post a pic of my R69 on the site.
1960 R69
2008 R1200RT
So.Oregon