If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Gear Oil Leakage problem R69

Allan.Atherton

Re: R69

Post by Allan.Atherton »

... The Trans was too full, I drained enough so it was about an inch down...
Perhaps you saw the oil was to the top of the threads, whereas it is supposed to be just below the bottom thread. I use the shadow of the filler hole as a guage. I stop filling just before the shadow disappears, before the oil comes up to touch the bottom thread. Usually this means I see the oil when it gets on the thread, then use the oil bottle to suck out the excess until the shadow re-appears.

Allan.Atherton

Re: R69

Post by Allan.Atherton »

I left the rear plug off and it left a puddle,It just keeps coming out,so I guess I need a front seal.How big of job is this ? any special tools required?....
You could just send the final drive to Bench Mark Works. I sent mine for resealing last year. It was cheap and done right.

comet

Post by comet »

Mark, not a big job but it does require special tools. Be sure to do them both. Allan's suggestion is a good one..............Comet

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

My 1960 R69 leaks gear oil from the little plug right below the speedometer drive.I have to get this fixed,it gets gear oil all over the rear wheel and muffler.Any idea what would cause this ?
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.