If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R27 Inaugural Ride

Peter

R27 Inaugural Ride

Post by Peter »

Howdy Richard, congratulations on the completion, how about a photo of the R27.

Rgds Peter
R42, R12, R51/3, R69S

Bruce Frey

R27 Inaugural Ride

Post by Bruce Frey »

Congratulations!

If you are starting to have "withdrawal" symptoms, you need to take on another project.....a prewar project will usually keep you going for a long time.

Best regards,

Bruce

Darryl.Richman

R27 Inaugural Ride

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Bruce is right about that! My R12 has been in my garage for about 8 years in various stages of assembly and disassembly.

Anyway, congrats on getting the bike on the road!
--Darryl Richman

R.D. Green

R27 Inaugural Ride

Post by R.D. Green »

Thanks, guys. I'll post some pics when I get the wheels sorted out.

I may have asked this question before so, if I did, please bear with me. Does anyone have any recommendations for R27 tires? Stock size is 3.25-18 which should equate to 100/90-18 or thereabouts. The bike has 3.25-18 Cheng-Shins now and I don't much care for them. They are about .5 inch narrower than the 3.25 or 100/90 tires that I have on other bikes; they don't handle well; and they just don't look right. Conti, Michelin, and Avon all make 100/90's that might do. Also, the Bridgestone Accolade looks right and comes in 100/90 but - - as with some of the other brands - - I would have to run a "front" tire on both ends. Is this acceptable? About the only way around this would be to run a slightly wider tire on the rear. Anyway, lots of choices with 19 inch tires but not so many with the 18's that I need. Thanks for any ideas....

Richard

VBMWMO

R27 Inaugural Ride

Post by VBMWMO »

Well, after eleven months of replacing, replating, adjusting, fixing, polishing, researching, fiddling, Internetting, puzzling, elating, and just plain having a good old time, I finally took the R27 out for her inaugural ride yesterday as opposed to just periodically pooping around the neighborhood to test things. She won't win any races but she cruises smoothly at 60 and she sounds great.

One more job remains and that is to inspect the wheel bearings and replace the pitted chrome wheels with the original Weinmann alloys and stainless steel spokes which I do have.

I'm almost disappointed to have the end in sight....

Richard
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.