If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Air Snorkel Orientation

schrader7032

Found the Answer

Post by schrader7032 »

I think I figured it out...with a little help from a deep review of the Airheads archive. One poster years ago mentioned the different lengths of the tube and how they needed to be positioned properly.

In looking at the tubes, I paid attention to the point in the tube at which the bend is taking place. The right side tube is not nearly as symmetric as the left. The right side tube has unequal lengths of "straight" sections on either side of the bend. Placing this into relative position on the right side clearly shows that the longish straight section of the tube HAS to be next to the air filter with the shorter straight section at the carb. If it's done the other way, then the section leading into the carb will be at an angle and it can't be sealed properly. In other words, the longish section of tube puts the bend far enough away from the air filter housing so that the bend ends up pointing directly at the carb.

So, with the right side oriented properly, that puts the slits I mentioned up by the air cleaner spigots.

The left side is not quite so clear in terms of the long and short sections, but given that the slits are near the air filter on the right side, that would tend to indicate that the slits should be in the same position on the left side. I had already installed the left side tube that way and the section that runs into the carb makes a straight shot in...there's no angle associated with it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Kurt in S.A.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

VBMWMO

Air Snorkel Orientation

Post by VBMWMO »

I might as well try the various forums to see if anyone has an answer. I bought new snorkels for the /7. I know which is left and right from the part number. One end of the snorkel has some slits in it, maybe 5mm long. Does the end with the slits go to the clamshell air cleaner cover or does it go to the carb?

Not sure if I ever knew which end was which, so I can't really trust the orientation of the ones I took off. I've only had the bike for 27 years!! Thanks...

Kurt in S.A.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.