If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60/2 tank verses R60US tank

Allan.Atherton

Re: R60/2 tank verses R60US tank

Post by Allan.Atherton »

My new-to-me R60US needs a fuel tank... I tried a borrowed /2 tank on it, and the fork shrouds touch the tank...
The standard 4.5 tank fits both Earles and US forks. The 6.5 gallon sport tank was made with a slightly flatter front to clear the US forks, and was called the New Form tank. These days, the new 6.5 gallon tanks made by BMW Mobile Tradition are all New Form in order to fit any bike.
For your R60US, you have several choices. It would be cheapest and easiest to find a used 4.5 gallon tank, which may or may not need some work. They are fairly common. If you want a 6.5 gallon tank, finding a used New Form tank to clear the US fork may be rather hard and expensive. And new painted and striped New Form tanks are readily available but even more costly, about $2000 with lid, pads, emblems, etc.

VBMWMO

R60/2 tank verses R60US tank

Post by VBMWMO »

My new-to-me R60US needs a fuel tank. How do I tell the difference between a /2 tank and a US tank? I tried a borrowed /2 tank on it, and the fork shrouds touch the tank well before the fork stops on the bottom triple tree touch the frame. Nothing appears bent. Thanks for any tips. I want to ride old-tech again! Hal
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.