If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

removing r50 generator armature?

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

The Clymer book is far from perfect, and this must be one of those instances. You need the special pusher bolt. It's the same dimensions as the bolt that holds the armature to the crank nose, but... It's a hardened bolt, and the last inch or so of threads are cut off. Vech has them, they're not expensive. All you do is thread it in and when it bottoms inside the crank nose, it then pushes the armature off. It can take a lot of force, and they can really pop off, so be prepared for it to land on something soft.
--Darryl Richman

pierce7221

Post by pierce7221 »

The Clymer book is far from perfect,guess so. i'd noticed that in a couple other places too. thanks.

Jordan Nygaard

Post by Jordan Nygaard »

I made one with a bolt that matched the threads and was a bit longer than the original then filed off the threads where needed. worked like a charm and yes it pays to have a soft landing area as it does pop off. Got the bolt at ace hardware, they seem to have items the other places don't carry.
What a long strange trip it's been

Darryl.Richman

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I would not use a standard bolt for this purpose. The tool version is hardened. Some of these armatures take A LOT of force to get off (which is good, actually), and if a regular bolt should happen to mushroom inside the crank nose, someone is going to be very unhappy.
--Darryl Richman

Jordan Nygaard

Post by Jordan Nygaard »

I must have been lucky then cause the bolt I modified worked well, I wouldn't want to use it multiple times though as you are right it should be hardened. the numbers on the head are 8.8 JH I did taper the end slightly just in case it mushroomed and I only used a soft headed mallet to tap it.
What a long strange trip it's been

pierce7221

Post by pierce7221 »

i ended up building my own puller which worked pretty well. you're right though, it sure did pop off when it came loose. i think it was good i had a puller on it, cause the puller surrounded the armature and absorbed the impact when it went flying :)

VBMWMO

Post by VBMWMO »

well i'm starting to strip my engine down to clean the oil slingers, and already running into problems. can't get the armature off. clymer book describes it as surprisingly simple, but it's not working that way. they say just remove the center bolt on it and take it off. but it's stuck on there amazingly tight. tried using a puller to pull on it using a bolt in the center, but it was pulling so hard i couldnt move the wrench on the puller nut by hand. tapped on the pulling bolt with a hammer a lot. armature never moved. am i missing something? wish i could get some penetrating oil in there or something, but the way the armature is shaped, i doubt i can.
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.