If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R69S Carburetors

Darryl.Richman

R69S Carburetors

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I have no experience with the Mikunis, so I'm afraid I'm useless there.

But you might consider sending your cracked Bing off to the Bing Agency to see if they can repair it. If not, they may have a refurbished carb for you, like they did for my R51/3.

Good luck!
--Darryl Richman

VBMWMO

R69S Carburetors

Post by VBMWMO »

I am new at this forum and ya'll may run me off for not keeping things original (before they even get my membership check in the mail) but.... I have asked a lot of people and not yet gotten a good answer to this. The body of the carb on the left side is cracked and probably beyond repair. I thought I would take the opportunity to replace both carbs with Mikuni's which I had heard was a good idea. I have two from Rocky Point Cycle which they provided with nicely machined aluminum adapters, one for each air cleaner hole, and one to bolt to each head. But I haven't been able to find a good way to fabricate an air tube to deliver filtered air.
Inch and a half copper long radius pipe fittings make a streamlined tube to the air hole, and could be silver soldered and chromed but there's no room for my feet.(The Mikunis are LONGER than the Bings.)
If I mount the carbs at the air filter holes and make a tube to go to each head, then 1 inch copper pipe fittings fit nicely, but the result is awfully small to be so long. It might breathe OK at slow speeds.
The conversions that I have seen just use K&N filters on velocity stacks, but I'm not sure thats a good idea.
Any suggestions besides going back with a new pair of Bings? Has anybody here done this?

Thanks, (and I plan to keep everything else original!)
Durlach
Dedicated to the Preservation of Classic and Antique BMW Motorcycles.